One thing I have noticed....

I'm not going for a while I hope, but I've recently been diagnosed with diabetes, after being overweight most of my life. The newfangled stuff for that is 'spensive.
Best of luck with that. Seems like the system is designed to take everything from you at the end. My health benefits pay for a nursing home, UNLESS they’re secondary, which they will be as I’m also required to carry Medicare when I hit the age for it. So they pay for it, it’s covered but nope, it isnt. The whole system is a scam. Your meds cost pennies to make and get to you.

Best of luck with that. Seems like the system is designed to take everything from you at the end. My health benefits pay for a nursing home, UNLESS they’re secondary, which they will be as I’m also required to carry Medicare when I hit the age for it. So they pay for it, it’s covered but nope, it isnt. The whole system is a scam. Your meds cost pennies to make and get to you.
Yes about the pennies. All doses of each of the new diabetes meds cost the same, ergo the actual cost of the medicine is a rounding error, the rest is profit.

Last edited:
I don't think a standard FRFR monitor will give you what you want. If you want punchy bass you're probably better off with a closed-back guitar cab driven by a powerful SS amp and turn off the cab block
That’s what was thinking. Here’s my set up.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpeg
    IMG_0572.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Work from home has improved my quality of life enormously!

In all those dimensions mentioned, plus giving me back literally 3 hours a day that I used to spend commuting on the T, benefiting no one!

Very lucky I can do that. I've done it before at other companies, but couldn't talk my current employer into until COVID, when we all kind of had to. Now they can't say it won't work, it IS working!

I worked remotely before covid....but, yeah....it works.

Our CEO kinda wants everyone to work in the office, but half the company is 1000 miles away. And he knows that the one week I spent in the office was about my least-productive week ever.

I’m retiring in 3 months and becoming a Floridian in 7. I’d change jobs if I can find someone to pay me what I make (a really good living) to do what I do (next to nothing), I’d stay working, but that probably isnt going to happen. I’ll be gigging as much as I can going forward. I’m grateful because as expensive as things are around here, wages are generally high enough to absorb these institutional costs of New York. My commute in today was 2 hours. They really couldn’t pay me enough to stay a single day after pension eligible status. I’m just DONE. Even though it’s great money, I don’t want to die here and everything has to come to an end at some point.

Congrats!

Living in NY would also be on my "No thanks" list. I get the appeal, and to each their own, but..yeah....no thanks. I'm very happy with being a southerner at heart.

Got a lot in common with lots of you guys...!
Just ordered the FM3...should be here Thursday or Friday. They're backordered on the Fender FR12 at Sweetwater, but I ordered one of those, too. If I really like it I will get another one. I can't wait!

I have been running in stereo, to a stereo PA, since 1991. Back then, it was my ADA rig. Since we play in bars that are not huge, the stereo is noticeable to the audience, since I can tell it is stereo with the break music. With the Fractal, I used to run my Martrix CFR12’s in front of me in stereo, but we switched to in-ear monitors a few years ago (Deaf bassist blasting me off of the stage!)
we run outdoors in stereo as well, with more PA speakers, and it is still noticeable. Just my guitar is in stereo. We have bass, drums, and vocals center. Maybe panning the Tom’s on the drum kit a bit. It was great fun to take out my in-ear monitors during soundchecks, and go out front outside, and have someone switching my scenes on my pedal to audition the stereo effects on the big PA!
Man, I loved my ADA MP1 back in the day! When I was on the road in a band that actually had a record deal, I had a pair of Peavey 60/60 tube power amps in the rack and ran either 2 or 4 Marshall cabinets! Needless to say, all that stuff is gone with the wind 30 years ago!

Man, I loved my ADA MP1 back in the day! When I was on the road in a band that actually had a record deal, I had a pair of Peavey 60/60 tube power amps in the rack and ran either 2 or 4 Marshall cabinets! Needless to say, all that stuff is gone with the wind 30 years ago!
I sold my ADA Stuff just 2 years ago! I was getting rid of things I didn’t use anymore, and that whole rig went, well, I still have the Alesis Quadraverb, but it has little to no value.

Honestly, Fractal gear and the FRFR stuff is actually cheaper than the real deal. If you buy a decent amp and have an investment in pedals, a cab, a load box, etc, you're probably talking double what an FM3 and a couple of FRFR wedges cost. And yet, nobody bats an eye when folks buy the real stuff.
You’re paying fractions of a penny on the dollar for what’s included in an FM3.

I am about to enter the Fractal universe, most likely with an FM3 and one or two decent FRFRs as I plan to use it live.

I know this is probably "entry level" to most of you, but being an old guy with very limited resources, this is a big chunk o' change. But I have noticed a lot of discussions on this forum go something like this:

"So, used the Helix for a couple of years, then bought the Kemper and the Quad Cortex, but neither one of those can really capture my '68 Plexi or my '64 Vibroverb, so I bought the FX-III, but I leave that at home and just take either my FM3 or FM9 depending on how much firepower I need, and run it through a couple of my half-dozen FRFRs..."

Jeez....are you guys single lawyers or what???
The best thing is: you do not have to dive deep into menues and editing to get great sounds out of Fractal Audio units! And I highly recommend purchasing Austin Buddys Live Goldpack as it really opens up the possibilities of these units and Austin does a great job with dialing and leveling in presets.

That is one of the big reasons why I am going Fractal...I will always want more amps that I can afford. And that's not even mentioning effects...

Yep, it is actually very hard for me to spend money. I dont really drink, dont waste money on tobacco, gambling, or lotteries. I rarely go out to eat. Paid off older vehicles, and I teach my kids they dont need materialistic things. Everything else in my life besides guitar gear is pretty minimalistic. Affording Fractal gear is not really a problem vs. my own justification of spending so much on 'fun'.

This right here!
Working hard and staying away from things that can catch you off guard, treating other people how you want to be treated has worked very well for me.
I am fortunate to have multiple FAS setups. 3T, 9T, AX3T...

I am constantly blown away by my Fractal. I just discovered the Two-Rock amp and have been in bliss messing with that. I've sold a few amps since owning the FM3, it does 97% of the same thing most of the time. Its incredible really.

Back
Top Bottom