One thing I have noticed....

Once we have a Fractal suddenly our old gear doesn't seem as great and can be sold. That goes a long way to recouping the investment.
I did just that recently and purchased a second FM9. I thought about doing the Axe 3 but I wouldn't want to gig it. I've been cleaning house lately. There's no going back. I still have a Marshall combo and my EVH 50w head and a 212 with GB's becase i cant part with those. But as far as effects and more amps.... not needed.

Last edited:
Don't go overboard with FRFR's - they're only for you to hear yourself on stage, any decent wedge monitor or PA speaker will do, don't fall for the boutique "made for the fractal" hype that some vendors use
I don't even use my EV at gigs much anymore. I make my presets on it or my studio monitors and just use our band's monitors at gigs. If I need to tweak something, I mess with the global EQ or the mixer.

I don't spend money on stuff most people do. That's how I get what I want.

Same, mostly. People all have their own resources and priorities.

Sadly, I don't have real data to actually draw the conclusion, but everything seems cheaper when I'm not drinking, which is most of the time. It's not a moral thing...I think I'm just "over" it. I also pretty much never eat out. Part of that is because there are almost no restaurants that can accommodate the diet that works for me, and part of it is that it literally costs 3~5x as much to eat out for food that is almost universally less healthy and no better than what I can make.

There's a bunch that has gone into where we are financially, and some of it absolutely is just luck. But, the key is to figure out what your priorities actually are and stick to them. And no matter what you actually want out of life, your first priority should always be to get out of debt as fast as possible, even if it means you're making 6-figures and living like a pauper. The only exceptions are zero-interest deals, short-term emergencies, and if a purchase is going to make you more money than the debt costs (which can include things like mortgages as long as your interest rate is lower than inflation).

Then, save up for rainy days or big purchases. My Gibson was planned, but I bought my PRS on a whim. I was saving up for something for a while, but I didn't know what it was going to be. And, it turned out to be that.

Once we have a Fractal suddenly our old gear doesn't seem as great and can be sold. That goes a long way to recouping the investment.

Yeah, that. My FM3 was something like "profit" after I sold 2 amps and ~15 pedals. I think I'm slightly in the red since it happened, but that's mostly from guitars (went from an Epiphone and a G&L to a Gibson, a Fender, a PRS, and an acoustic). And, I'm still selling pedals. I'm pretty much down to the ones that I kind of have at least a mild emotional attachment to, but I don't really have any plans to use them again. I'll sell them whenever I get around to it.

ETA: Oh, I think it also helps that I don't fancy myself much of a guitar collector. I have more than I need and less than I probably would own if money were literally no object. But...apart from some passing fancies, I don't think I actually want any more guitars. No shade on anyone who likes having a big collection - I get the reasons. I just don't feel the same drive to actually own them. When I do get that itch, if I just sit on it for a week or two, it usually goes away.

Last edited:
Jeez....are you guys single lawyers or what???

I'm a lawyer. Old-ish and not single but partial empty nesters. :D "Recycling" gear is the way to ease the gear acquisition. Reduces how much cash goes out for purchases.

Also new to the Fractal world after years with a pedalboard filled with some boutique-ish pedals and an HX Stomp for amp/cabs. Sold off most of it and jumped on with an FM3 + FC6 combo. I play at church and don't gig. I had invested so much cash pedals unnecessarily - I found I could get the tones I really enjoyed from the current offering of higher-end modelers. I really liked the Line 6 Helix line but after buying/selling/upgrading with them for over a decade, I wanted to try something new. So far loving it and no regrets. Although there is a lot to learn with the Fractal gear.

I still gig when I can, never enough for me, but trying to do more. I plan on using my FRFRs for backline, so here's a question that may better be in a different thread, but...

How many of you run FRFR /into the board stereo? I know that the audience will not get the true stereo experience, but I am thinking about myself....the better I sound to me, the better and more effortlessly I play. Would running 2 FRFRs be worth it for a person like myself who would probably not be running really complex ping-pong/atmospheric stuff live? Would the separation be worth it to me? What d'ya think?

I still gig when I can, never enough for me, but trying to do more. I plan on using my FRFRs for backline, so here's a question that may better be in a different thread, but...

How many of you run FRFR /into the board stereo? I know that the audience will not get the true stereo experience, but I am thinking about myself....the better I sound to me, the better and more effortlessly I play. Would running 2 FRFRs be worth it for a person like myself who would probably not be running really complex ping-pong/atmospheric stuff live? Would the separation be worth it to me? What d'ya think?
Personally, just playing at home, not ping-ponging stuff hardly at all, stereo adds richness and fullness to the experience, and I like it.

Generic government job here but after I got a beat up second hand fm3 I immediately wondered why I didn't get it sooner. Have nearly all my amps and pedals up for sale. Had I grabbed one when they launched I would have saved thousands on testing and flipping other gear.

Not to mention one of the best and most supportive communities I've come across when it comes to music gear.

I hear the new fender FRFR speakers are decent and don't cost that much compared to others.

I hear the new fender FRFR speakers are decent and don't cost that much compared to others.

They very much are decent, and yes, they sound/feel great. There's a bit of a noise problem, but there's a thread here about it - hopefully that project will really go somewhere. I think I was the first person on this forum to play one...at least on the floor in Guitar Center at reasonable volumes (around 90dB playing), the noise was not a problem to me. At home...you'd have to try it. Or wait until this awesome community figures out a solution. My room is really quiet, so it would probably bother me in here.

Random side-note...the idea of experts working together on a hardware hacking project to upgrade a Fender amp is yet another reason I really enjoy this community.

Don't go overboard with FRFR's - they're only for you to hear yourself on stage, any decent wedge monitor or PA speaker will do, don't fall for the boutique "made for the fractal" hype that some vendors use
I’m looking for a good set of FRFR speaker monitors for my fractal axe fm 3. I like a punchy bass sound what would you recommend ? I read your post and thought you could direct me. Thx

You mean posts that go like:
----------------------------------
Well, I got tired of lugging my hot-rodded Marshall Plexis around, so after trying a Soldano then an ENGL full stack, I decided to try out the Kemper. But it didn't have the organic feel I was looking for, even after trying about 9 different pickup combinations on my 8 guitars I usually bring to the gigs. So, then I bought the Helix, just to practice with on my tour bus and bought the QC to use for practice at home. Wasn't really happy with either so I finally bought the Fractal AXEFX III. Finally, I had the sound and feel I liked so I bought a second one as a backup. But for smaller gigs I use either the FM9 or FM3.
----------------------------------

I’m looking for a good set of FRFR speaker monitors for my fractal axe fm 3. I like a punchy bass sound what would you recommend ? I read your post and thought you could direct me. Thx
I don't think a standard FRFR monitor will give you what you want. If you want punchy bass you're probably better off with a closed-back guitar cab driven by a powerful SS amp and turn off the cab block

I have been running in stereo, to a stereo PA, since 1991. Back then, it was my ADA rig. Since we play in bars that are not huge, the stereo is noticeable to the audience, since I can tell it is stereo with the break music. With the Fractal, I used to run my Martrix CFR12’s in front of me in stereo, but we switched to in-ear monitors a few years ago (Deaf bassist blasting me off of the stage!)
we run outdoors in stereo as well, with more PA speakers, and it is still noticeable. Just my guitar is in stereo. We have bass, drums, and vocals center. Maybe panning the Tom’s on the drum kit a bit. It was great fun to take out my in-ear monitors during soundchecks, and go out front outside, and have someone switching my scenes on my pedal to audition the stereo effects on the big PA!

I am about to enter the Fractal universe, most likely with an FM3 and one or two decent FRFRs as I plan to use it live.

I know this is probably "entry level" to most of you, but being an old guy with very limited resources, this is a big chunk o' change. But I have noticed a lot of discussions on this forum go something like this:

"So, used the Helix for a couple of years, then bought the Kemper and the Quad Cortex, but neither one of those can really capture my '68 Plexi or my '64 Vibroverb, so I bought the FX-III, but I leave that at home and just take either my FM3 or FM9 depending on how much firepower I need, and run it through a couple of my half-dozen FRFRs..."

Jeez....are you guys single lawyers or what???
Everything is relative. Lunch around here is typically 20 bucks and my gas and tolls are 25. With congestion pricing they’ll jump to 35 a day!
But no, I’m a middle class slob and a civil servant. We do pretty well but everyone has their hand out for everything.

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare. I would change jobs and move if that described my life.
Work from home has improved my quality of life enormously!

In all those dimensions mentioned, plus giving me back literally 3 hours a day that I used to spend commuting on the T, benefiting no one!

Very lucky I can do that. I've done it before at other companies, but couldn't talk my current employer into until COVID, when we all kind of had to. Now they can't say it won't work, it IS working!

Wow, that sounds like a nightmare. I would change jobs and move if that described my life.
I’m retiring in 3 months and becoming a Floridian in 7. I’d change jobs if I can find someone to pay me what I make (a really good living) to do what I do (next to nothing), I’d stay working, but that probably isnt going to happen. I’ll be gigging as much as I can going forward. I’m grateful because as expensive as things are around here, wages are generally high enough to absorb these institutional costs of New York. My commute in today was 2 hours. They really couldn’t pay me enough to stay a single day after pension eligible status. I’m just DONE. Even though it’s great money, I don’t want to die here and everything has to come to an end at some point.

I don't spend money on stuff most people do. That's how I get what I want.
Yep, it is actually very hard for me to spend money. I dont really drink, dont waste money on tobacco, gambling, or lotteries. I rarely go out to eat. Paid off older vehicles, and I teach my kids they dont need materialistic things. Everything else in my life besides guitar gear is pretty minimalistic. Affording Fractal gear is not really a problem vs. my own justification of spending so much on 'fun'.

Yep, it is actually very hard for me to spend money. I dont really drink, dont waste money on tobacco, gambling, or lotteries. I rarely go out to eat. Paid off older vehicles, and I teach my kids they dont need materialistic things. Everything else in my life besides guitar gear is pretty minimalistic. Affording Fractal gear is not really a problem vs. my own justification of spending so much on 'fun'.
Wait until you need expensive meds. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom