One question before pulling the trigger.

Hi all,

Thanks for any insight you may offer.
My plan is to run a chapman stick (12 string) through the axe-fx II. Separate signal chains for melody and bass sides. Also (occasionally) a Bridge Lyra electric violin.

The stick has a GK-3 midi pickup on melody side which I run into a Roland GR-55 synth. Can someone tell me if running the 1/4 out of the synth into the axe is possible, or for some reason not a good idea?

Looking forward to getting on the waiting list.

jimi

Do you mean the 'thru' 1/4 inch ie the signal path goes: guitar output jack > GK-3 via 1/4 to mini ts lead > GR-55 > GR-55 1/4 in guitar out > AxeFX2 input (then you toggle the switch on the GK-3 to send either hex signal/hex + mag pups/ mag pups only)?

Or do you mean a mono output of the GR-55 'synth out' into the front of the Axe?

In theory the first option should work - but when I had a GK-2 / GR-50 setup years back the mag pups output only using the hex cable and guitar out from GR50 into my guitar preamp was plagued with buzzing/hiss/signal loss. Maybe that's improved with the modern Roland GK/GR stuff?

Much better results when I used 2 leads (guitar out to wireless pack on my strap or belt) and kept GK output just for the synth. You could maybe route the GR-55 into the rear input 2 on the Axe and sum l+r outs into a FRFR monitoring stage.

hi maxdown,

thanks for hitting back. i should have been more clear in my description of 1/4 out. my apologies.
unfortunately, roland GR-55 guitar out still suffers from horrible noise issues. i am just aiming to send the synth signal w/o the mags into the axe.

Yes, you can do it. The Axe has two inputs, both of which are stereo. You can process left an right channels separately, so that's four channels to play with. FWIW I use: Magnetic, piezos, and GR33. If you take your synth in mono then you have a fourth channel available for your violin

Yep, I use the Axe this way. Mags into the front input (Input 1 Left), Piezos into the back (Input 1 Right), stereo out of my GR-20 into Input 2 (Left & Right). Works great. You can use the 4-channel mixer block and assign expression pedals as volume controls for the different channels, also. Or, build different patches with & without the various inputs and the unused channels will be muted as you change patches.

Back
Top Bottom