FM3 One Patch, Nine Songs

Mita

Backing tracks on an iPad going to a Bluetooth receiver that is connected to input 2 on the FM3. Backing tracks have time stamped midi commands that change the scenes on the FM3, also via Bluetooth to a CME WIDI thing. Guitar is also wireless going to input 1. Finally, the whole thing is connected with a wireless Airstep controller haha. The gapless switching is awesome!

Very impressive. Cool guitar!

I hope people listen past the first few minutes. Some really cool melodic passages with interesting harmonic playing. Great blues ending capturing the SRV thing.

Very impressive. Cool guitar!

I hope people listen past the first few minutes. Some really cool melodic passages with interesting harmonic playing. Great blues ending capturing the SRV thing.
Thank, I really appreciate that comment! Each song (7 originals and 2 covers) is meant to be carried by vocals. I tried to cut out the most interesting instrumental parts in each one to make it still work. I am glad you liked it! My hands started cramping by the time I got to SRV. With the camera on, I did not take a 20-30 second breather between sections like I usually do, and was really feeling it by the end haha

Nice!
could you explain how you setup the whole thing.

Especially the airstep to the widi ?

I use an Airstep too.
Of course! Let me break down each wireless piece.

Airstep - I use a CME WIDI Jack on the FM3. I read on these forums that if you power the WIDI Jack from the FM3 MIDI Out, it will overheat. I did not try to experiment, so I used a 5V adapter which is located under the pedal board. The connection is

WIDI Jack Midi Out -> FM3 Midi In
5V USB C power -> WIDI Jack

I can then pair the Airstep to the WIDI Jack. They pair automatically, or you may have to use the WIDI App to setup the CME device and set it to "group auto learn ON" and "wired midi thru ON", or something similar. There is also a third option on the CME side to make it discoverable which may or may not be turned on by default. Once the light is steady on the CME, and one single blink on the Airstep, you are connected. I then have a preset for the FM3 on the Airstep to change scenes. I think it is CC#34, where each button sends a different value, 0-7. You can set it to whatever on the FM3 side as well. You can even use an expression pedal on the Airstep (I do that for a whammy effect).

iPad - iPads have bluetooth midi built in. I use a program called "Stage Traxx 3". There are great tutorials online about it. Basically, it allows you to play backing tracks and add time stamps to them to send midi commands. Mine is set up to change scenes on the FM3 at the correct part of the song so I don't have to foot dance. When the iPad is involved, my connection is as follows:

iPad connected to CME WIDI on FM3
iPad connected to Airstep

Airstep is NOT connected to CME WIDI on FM3 (it can be done, but becomes sketchy from my experience). Instead, I use an app on the iPad to forward the midi messages from the airstep to the CME WIDI on the FM3. It is called "midimittr". With this connection scheme, certain buttons on the airstep are programmed to play/stop/rewind the songs on the iPad, and others can still overwrite and changes scenes or patches on the FM3 (and use an expression pedal).

Bluetooth Receiver - I also have a cheap outboard bluetooth audio receiver on my board. I pair it with the iPad to stream audio from the iPad (Stage Traxx 3) to the receiver. The receiver output goes to Input 2 on the FM3. I then have the input 2 block in my patch routed directly to the outputs, with a proper level set to match the input 1 guitar (which is also wireless).

The whole thing becomes very easy to set up and fully wireless. Just a power cable for the board with the FM3 and receivers, and XLR out to the PA or whatever else. Let me know if you want help programming the Airstep itself to play nicely with the FM3.

edited to add photos:

20240422_223432 copy.jpg20240422_223508 copy.jpg
case closed and open. Bluetooth receiver is bottom right, wireless guitar receiver top right, and a 100W solid state stereo power amp is the thing directly to the right of the FM3. It was 25 bucks on amazon and is as loud (close enough) and as good as the seymour duncan power stage hehehe.

20240422_223531 copy.jpg20240422_223601 copy.jpg
rear connections and messy "under the board" cables. The blue and red XLRs go to the side of the board for easy access. I also have the headphone out go to some 15 dollar amazon computer speakers underneath the board (visible in the 2nd photo, top left corner of the "underboard") as a quick personal monitor when just messing around.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the explanations !

That’s a really well built board!
Thanks! I actually did not plan it out properly when I ordered the board/case and got the "regular" cover instead of the "extra deep" one. I mounted the FM3 upside down so I can still close the case.

Back
Top Bottom