One of the things kicking me over the fence to getting an Axe-FX

barrymclark

Inspired
To me, this says a great deal.

Sure, Line6 has a long, LONG list of artists on their site. Surely, they get decent tones for what they do. Thing is... out of that very long list, I can't really pick on of them who has a tone I'd want to emulate.

FAS, on the other hand, has almost all of my modern tone idols with the exception of people like Brian Setzer that, at least won't advertise it, don't use modellers.

That really does, to me, speak volumes.

Getting an AXE

Personally I dont care who is promoting the AXE.

For me the important thing is : I can get the tone(s) I want.

A time ago someone on this forum put it about this way:

"You choose the gear that gives you the least ressistance in getting your sound/tone..." That made perfect sense to me.

AAEN
Owner of an AXE II in a month :)

You know, after seeing that poor soul who had the knob broken off his AFII I thought to myself, I might want to reconsider bringing my AF2 to gigs!
I love it and if someone hurt mine I'd probably be so furious I'd be at risk of putting the guy in the hospital... from the extreme verbal beating I'd give him that is. : )

To me, the L6 stuff isn't close, but with their horrible speaker sims defeated thru a power amp and guitar cab it is close enough to be useful in a noisy live setting where a lot of the differences will get lost to too loud cymbal crashes as everyones hearing gets cooked.
I can also worry a lot less about a $400 POD HD getting trashed or used for a beer coaster (the real reason to keep one handy!)

and I agree with your sentiment. None of my tone idols play L6 gear either, a lot tried it and left or used some of the FX boxes back in the day, but they've let that market go it seems. Once upon a time the DL4 was a decent pedal.
L6 introduced me to modern modelling but then went down the pro-sumer / Guitar Center path. No shame in that, lot of $ there, but they stopped trying for higher end stuff - just as I was making good money!

Thank Crom for Cliff!

Last edited:
Personally I dont care who is promoting the AXE.

For me the important thing is : I can get the tone(s) I want.

A time ago someone on this forum put it about this way:

"You choose the gear that gives you the least ressistance in getting your sound/tone..." That made perfect sense to me.

AAEN
Owner of an AXE II in a month :)
Not saying that it is a driving force necessarily. Just that if the people whose tone I really dig (and they vary in tone) are all migrating... there is a reason. They are all able to get that tone. In the end, I agree, I don't care who is using what. If I can 't get what I want out of it, it is worthless to me.

Back
Top Bottom