One of the best tone tutorials in ages.

That was helpful to hear his approach. Does he roll the volume knob down for cleans or have a separate patch?

This would be amazing if he actually showed Axe-Edit as he made tweaks to the sound - without that I actually find it really hard to follow.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I think its the following

he is talking about the low cut / high cut in the cab block .

the Live Eq is a Parametric block he adds , that he sets to blocking to pull out the piercing freq around 4k

the Drive block setting are the classic Tube screamer trick , level full drive off or very low , this setting is the same as if you used the tube screamer in the amp boost block and set it to about 10 db
his Comp is the same about 10 db in front of amp

the last one is on the tone page of the amp block its a pre eq that cuts the low end before it hits the preamp similar to the cut switch but with more range

That was helpful to hear his approach. Does he roll the volume knob down for cleans or have a separate patch?
Separate patch, but you can use the same principles to create clean tones .
I personally find the feel of AXE clean tones to be its only real weakness.

I just became aware of Andy from a post on this forum. His videos are very intriguing. He's a very talented and knowledgeable player. I will be spending some time going through his videos and trying to absorb his teaching / techniques. I also just bought a TrueFire course by him. I had no idea he had anything on TrueFire. :cool:

I knew the name from the Suhr products, but I never listened to his stuff. I streamed some of his new album over lunch and I dig it. Some of the melodic approach of Nick Johnston but a bit more shreddy and twangy (bits of Richie Kotzen and Eric Johnson in there?).

Follow this and you can forget wasting money buying presets that won't work with your rig anyway.
i didn't get this from watching the video. can you explain?

it's always great seeing how pros approach the same gear i have. some of this info has been preached for years (cut the low end!), and i'm glad to see him doing the same thing and the results are clear.

i agree it would have been nice to see Axe-Edit while he was adjusting things. sorta had to visualize everything in your head. OBS is a free app that can record your screen, but this adds to the video editing time needed. either way, great to hear his approach to a drive preset like this.

i agree it would have been nice to see Axe-Edit while he was adjusting things. sorta had to visualize everything in your head. OBS is a free app that can record your screen, but this adds to the video editing time needed. either way, great to hear his approach to a drive preset like this.

i think he didnt show his pc/mac screen because he is going to sell his presets on his website.

i agree it would have been nice to see Axe-Edit while he was adjusting things. sorta had to visualize everything in your head.
I agree. I had a rough time following along, since I don't own a AF3. I still found it informative, though. I will likely revisit the video when my number gets pulled for the FM3.

i didn't get this from watching the video. can you explain?

it's always great seeing how pros approach the same gear i have. some of this info has been preached for years (cut the low end!), and i'm glad to see him doing the same thing and the results are clear.

The simple fact that you need to use your own ears to build your presets with your gear and you playing (at gig volume.) The useful thing here is how the modeller approach differs from what you would do with amps and pedals. The whole IR thing takes a bit of getting used too.
Developing your ability to extract what you want out or your modeller is very important to maximise it's and your potential. Buying presets is like pugging in to unfamiliar rental gear for the first time at the gig. It may work for you but it probably won't.

The simple fact that you need to use your own ears to build your presets with your gear and you playing (at gig volume.) The useful thing here is how the modeller approach differs from what you would do with amps and pedals. The whole IR thing takes a bit of getting used too.
Developing your ability to extract what you want out or your modeller is very important to maximise it's and your potential. Buying presets is like pugging in to unfamiliar rental gear for the first time at the gig. It may work for you but it probably won't.
Hmm I agree but was any of that said in the video?

No but it goes straight in to how to build a core tone not how to modify an exiting one. It assumes you are starting with a default amp model that the fundamentals work for you. Then how to preserve what it is you like about it and dealing with the parts you don't. Traditionally that would mean reaching for the tone knobs but when you have IRs and essentially a post production rig tone that can leave beginners with difficulty and ultimately either a return to the familiar (tube amps) or buying presets in a vain hope that this will sort it all out.

I agree with this approach. Every time I've ever downloaded anybody else's presets, not only do they sound dramatically different than whatever clip or video they were showcased in... they basically just never work for me and my playing.

I've found it's always better to build patches myself, starting with core amp/cab tones and expanding outward from there. Take all the inspiration from other people's patches and sounds you want, but in the end, building the patch yourself always works best.

It's also smart to build a couple of Template patches so you can skip placing and connecting all the blocks and shunts. I even have "Template" and "Template Backup" patches because sometimes I accidentally save new patches to the Template patch. There are 512 patches in the Axe-Fx III. There's plenty of room for backups.

The other fundamental thing to keep in mind is this: know what controls are available to you and what they do. Seems simple and intuitive enough, but there's a whole lot to take in here with the Axe-Fx, and learning everything can take a deliberate effort to do quickly. But, since building patches yourself is the best way to get good sound, you'll probably want to learn the tools available to you. The more parameters you can keep at top of mind when you're tweaking, the fewer adjustments you'll need to make to get exactly what you want. For example, there are eleventy billion ways to "reduce the highs" in any given patch. In the Amp Block alone there's Treble, Presence, High Treble, High Cut, Bright Switch, Transformer Match (increasing this will decrease perceived highs), the High Resonance Speaker impedance parameter, turning up the Master Volume, Input Definition, plus a ton of others not off the top of my head... but they all behave just slightly differently. Knowing what you have available to you will help you get where you want to go much faster. Of course you don't have to know all this stuff, but it might help.

So yeah:
1. build patches yourself
2. know what parameters are available to you and what they do

Last edited:
Definitely thought it was interesting. I agree with @chris on the part of seeing pro's use gear that I have sitting at my house and essentially can do the exact same thing with - if I have the knowledge is pretty cool. In this particular video - not seeing some of the settings was a bummer because I need to know more about that stuff, but getting pushed in the right direction was still useful to me.

Back
Top Bottom