One of my Favs...Playing live is what he lived for.....found this this morning.

Stratman68

Axe-Master
I have seen many vids of him playing Shadowplay live, but I never saw this one.Gone too soon but a great player. No compromise on heart and soul. This live, 1979 in Switzerland. Energy? Uh hell Yeah! Don't hear him talked about much here.

Rory is truly on of the most underrated geetarplayers.
I got several videos of him but thw one that blew me away was the one of THe Taste live at the Isle Of Man.
So yong and already such a great player.

One of my favs. Saw him play live in the 80s. Wonderful emotional player. Great recording sound too.

It's such a shame that being able to film live was such a military exercise back then. I'd kill for the cell phone that infests youtube from current live acts but of guys like Rory and others of that great era. Imagine a multi cam recording of Rory with the audio of a good quality bootleg.

I don't know. I sure enjoy the hell out of those vids. Actually watched a 1979 film(same year as this one) of AcDc just to compare the way the 2 guitar greats moved live on stage. Strikingly similar..........So much emotion-real emotion.

I do agree that it would be fabulous to have our past hero's filmed and recorded real good.......To enjoy whenever we pleased!

I'd just settle for more footage periodly. These days bands film every fart they make on stage and release it on DVD. We are literally glutted with concert DVD's. The only thing we have to a 70's Pink Floyd live show is the Pompeii movie. Because nobody bothered to film concerts professionally as it cost too much and before the advent of the VCR there was no way to make a buck from it. Sometimes a show or performance would get aired on TV, as a means to promote a new album and/or tour, which is basically all that we have left of those classic rock bands today. If we were lucky that the TV channel did not throw the recordings into the bin afterwards.

And the less said about the sound quality of audio bootlegs of that era the better. My cell phone records better then the best gear they had back then. And that's excluding how what we have has been degraded from too many analog tapes being copied over and over.

Back
Top Bottom