One Expression Pedal to rule all 4 Pedal Inputs.

JKU341

Any reason why not to use a splitter like the Galaxy Audio JIB/S 4 to use one expression pedal to control all 4 of the pedal inputs on the FC-6? I can assign each input to a specific task (Wah Wah, Whammy...) and flip through the scenes that are configured with the pedal I want to use and not include any of the others. Or possibly controlling 2 pedals with one external expression pedal in a scene. My concern is how the pedal handles the signal for each input and if paralleling them like this to 1 expression pedal is not advisable.

Interesting idea, no idea if that will cause any weird response as you will be electrically connecting those expression together. As an option, you may want to consider this Mission Engineering switch, which allows you to select one of three possible routings for an expression pedal

No need. You can assign the same pedal input to multiple functions already. You can have up to 32 modifiers in one preset, so you can control 32 different parameters at the same time that way. On top of that you can directly assign the pedal to functions in the MIDI/Remote menu as well.

No need. You can assign the same pedal input to multiple functions already. You can have up to 32 modifiers in one preset, so you can control 32 different parameters at the same time that way. On top of that you can directly assign the pedal to functions in the MIDI/Remote menu as well.
I can't say I picked up on that when reading through the manual on this subject.

Plus, you can over-ride any of those assignments. I have two expression pedals on my board, and only need them both on specific songs. Most of the gig, I just use one pedal to rule them all.

I can't say I picked up on that when reading through the manual on this subject.
It's easier to understand if you look at the editor for your device (AxeFX / FM unit), and view the controllers. You'll see that you can assign an expression controller to nearly parameter in a block, and that you can use that same controller for multiple parameters / blocks - even within that same preset. Example: I have my expression pedal set to cross-fade between two guitar amps. In order for that to work smoothly, I need the amps to have different output curves; that way the output volume is consistent as I fade between them. So the controller is assigned to volume for each (one is an inverse curve), and each has a unique curve shape. That's just two parameters (functions), so I could theoretically add a bunch more stuff if I wanted - like mixing effect parameters into the cross-fade.

For another preset, I may have that same controller mapped as a wah pedal, or a whammy. I did experiment with four pedals at one point, just because I could (I admit it... drunk with power). I realized I really didn't need more than two separate controllers at any time. Your mileage may vary.

Plus, you can over-ride any of those assignments. I have two expression pedals on my board, and only need them both on specific songs. Most of the gig, I just use one pedal to rule them all.
What are you using both for? Wah and some other FX I would imagine. So you can assign one pedal to multiple FX but in the case of needing to control two FX in the same scene you need two?

It's easier to understand if you look at the editor for your device (AxeFX / FM unit), and view the controllers. You'll see that you can assign an expression controller to nearly parameter in a block, and that you can use that same controller for multiple parameters / blocks - even within that same preset. Example: I have my expression pedal set to cross-fade between two guitar amps. In order for that to work smoothly, I need the amps to have different output curves; that way the output volume is consistent as I fade between them. So the controller is assigned to volume for each (one is an inverse curve), and each has a unique curve shape. That's just two parameters (functions), so I could theoretically add a bunch more stuff if I wanted - like mixing effect parameters into the cross-fade.

For another preset, I may have that same controller mapped as a wah pedal, or a whammy. I did experiment with four pedals at one point, just because I could (I admit it... drunk with power). I realized I really didn't need more than two separate controllers at any time. Your mileage may vary.
Makes sense. Thanks for the detail. I do have an FX III unit.

What are you using both for? Wah and some other FX I would imagine. So you can assign one pedal to multiple FX but in the case of needing to control two FX in the same scene you need two?
Good question. My #1 pedal is for stuff like modulation control (e.g., Rotary speaker speed), delay mix, wah, whammy and so on. Its primary function is some kind of expression control. The #2 pedal is usually for mix control - especially for the looper. I also use it to make adjustments to the input gain on the amp (with a matching output reduction).

I never use a volume pedal onstage. I did for many years (ok... a couple of decades...), but have deliberately removed that function from my setup. I carefully level the output across all of my presets, and make fine tuning adjustments only as necessary during technical rehearsals. I can access the +/- 3 dB adjustment buttons in a pinch, but I resist doing that onstage unless the need is dire. It's always tempting to turn up over the course of a gig, and we've made a pinky-swear deal in my band not to engage in a volume-level arms race. This also means I don't need (or want) a pedal for "more me". So once we've set our levels during soundcheck, that's my level for the show.

I currently use three expression pedals, but will be reducing to two soon.

One pedal (#2) always as a volume pedal. Attached to a Vol/Pan block placed after the Amp/Cab, but before any Delays/Reverb to preserve 'tails'. Mostly used for volume swells and backing off a bit in certain song sections, and for guitar changes and as an emergency kill switch.

The other pedal (#1) is for anything else, on a per-preset and/or per-scene basis. Wah, Whammy, Delay and/or Reverb Input Gain and/or feedback, Acoustic Sim volume, Organ sim volume, Harmony volume, blending between two signal chains, etc...

I have a toe switch in each pedal.
Pedal #2 can toggle between scenes 1 (Main Rhythm) and 4 (Main Solo)
Pedal #1 can toggle between scenes 1 (Main Rhythm) and 2 (Alt Rhythm)

Last edited:
I currently use three expression pedals, but will be reducing to two soon.

One pedal (#2) always as a volume pedal. Attached to a Vol/Pan block placed after the Amp/Cab, but before any Delays/Reverb to preserve 'tails'. Mostly used for volume swells and backing off a bit in certain song sections, and for guitar changes and as an emergency kill switch.

The other pedal (#1) is for anything else, on a per-preset and/or per-scene basis. Wah, Whammy, Delay and/or Reverb Input Gain and/or feedback, Acoustic Sim volume, Organ sim volume, Harmony volume, blending between two signal chains, etc...

I have a toe switch in each pedal.
Pedal #2 can toggle between scenes 1 (Main Rhythm) and 4 (Main Solo)
Pedal #1 can toggle between scenes 1 (Main Rhythm) and 2 (Alt Rhythm)
After tinkering and reading a little more in the forum. It sounds like if I want to use one expression pedal within 1 preset across multiple scenes controlling different FX in each scene I will need to use the ignore feature? My example is preset 000: scene 0 controlling wah, scene 1 controlling pitch, scene 3 controlling volume...etc. Am I on the right path?

After tinkering and reading a little more in the forum. It sounds like if I want to use one expression pedal within 1 preset across multiple scenes controlling different FX in each scene I will need to use the ignore feature? My example is preset 000: scene 0 controlling wah, scene 1 controlling pitch, scene 3 controlling volume...etc. Am I on the right path?
No... Scene Ignore is not really related.

The simplest way is to use different channels of the blocks and assign the modifier to apply only to that channel.

Back
Top Bottom