On what speaker should I create sounds?

laci0604

Hi!

I recently bought an AX8, and I created my first preset on my computer speakers, then I went to our rehersal room and tried out the unit, and it sounded like sh*t.

With my band I will use the AX8 connected directly to PA system, and I will hear the guitar through in-ear monitor system, so now I'm trying to create sounds with my in-ear earphones.

Is that a good idea?

Thanks!

let's start with the ideal situation first: create presets on the speakers you will actually use, and the speakers you feel are the most important. if you feel your IEM's are the most important, then create them there. if you feel the audience speakers are more important, create them there.

now less ideal and more normal situations: you'll probably be playing on different PA systems at different venues, so it's impossible to create on the same speakers used. for this, i would create them on the best speaker you have access to. i'd suggest a speaker vs an IEM due to the nature of speakers moving more air and being louder.

the volume at which you create tones is very important too. you can't create a tone at 50 dB then turn up to 100 dB and expect it to sound good. it probably won't due to the FM curve. so be prepared to spend some time adjusting the tone at gig volume. perhaps do most of the work at home, arranging layouts, adding effects, etc. but consider that you aren't done until you turn up loud and adjust EQ and other things at that louder volume.

another thing to consider is consistency. even if you use the same speaker to create your tones, if you are constantly changing rooms and volume, your tones will probably sound different as your ears adjust to the room and volume, thus making you change settings differently.

find a room you can always use to create in. put the speaker in the same place, sit at the same distance, use the same average volume to judge the results of creating your tone. if your presets all sound good in one place, then they can all sound good in another place with some adjustments. usually just Level and EQ needs to change from venue to venue. but if your presets are created in different rooms, with different speakers, etc. they probably won't all sound good comparatively.

so same speaker, same average level, and same room all goes a long way. then adjust your mixer channel or Global Graphic EQ from venue to venue to compensate that different room to your setup room.

Yes, I will be playing on different PA systems, and I don't have speakers, only my PC speakers, but that isn't good. That's why I'm trying to create sounds on my IEM, but unfotunately I haven't found any good sounding in them so far, so I don't know what to do now. :\

Yes, I will be playing on different PA systems, and I don't have speakers, only my PC speakers, but that isn't good. That's why I'm trying to create sounds on my IEM, but unfotunately I haven't found any good sounding in them so far, so I don't know what to do now. :\
It’s the same as if you didn’t have an electric guitar amp and you show up to gigs and use whatever is there. You can’t practice making your tones without the amp/speaker.

What about heaphones? I started using ax8 6months ago and made sounds with my headphones and noticed that gig PA was unpleasantly different. I can use my Genelec monitors to make sounds as well but headphones would be better for maintaining peace at home. Is there some specific heaphones that would be recommended if monitors or IEM are not working in these scenarios?

It seems that the overall opinion is to just avoid using smaller audio sources like headphones.. of course if one could somehow make a profiles between headphones and a frfr speaker and have some type of live converter block when makkng tones that could as a concept work for many but I guess its not possible. The FM-curve discussion/wish was also doomed in this forum (relates to same thing).

Sorry for small kinda off topic comments.

I've found that no matter what speaker I dial in a preset with, that preset will sound at least slightly different on another speaker. Sometimes a lot different.

So going from PA to PA you'll have to do some adjustments anyway. I agree with your earlier comment: headphones are not the best. Probably getting an FRFR or even a decent powered PA floor monitor would be good options. Finding some decent studio monitors for your computer doesn't have to break the bank and would be helpful, compared to headphones.

Just a tip - and I sound like a broken record from thread to thread - but narrowing the high-low frequencies of your presets can be helpful too. I like to use the High and Low cut feature on my cab block for this depending on the preset. To begin with, I'll go as high as 200 on the low end and 4000-4500 on the high end. Then adjust up and down to get the feel/tone that I like and that fits in the mix well. I rarely find it desirable to set my High cut above 6,000. But again, it all depends on the amp/preset/tone you really want. I do have a couple that are as low as 80 and as high as 6500. This is rare for me, though.

These are my prefs. Many here would disagree, but give it a try. What can it hurt?

You can also use an eq for this, but I like the cab block method because it's easy and effective.

Limiting the high-lows this way puts your tone within the normal guitar range of the mix, and also gives any speaker you're playing through less to work with as it morphs your tone to whatever frequency footprint that speaker was designed to give. Therefore less adjustments from speaker to speaker may be necessary.

The massive tweakabitlity of the AX8 does become confusing, in the beginning. Keeping things as simple as possible to begin with will indeed keep your life more simple and make the adjustments you do make easier to understand.

Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Buy a cheap speaker (Alto 10's are $199) or accept that you are going to always sound like shit on your gigs.

Seems like an easy decision to me.

You can mix on any speaker, just need to understand how what your hearing will translate to another system.

If you have something with very little low end, you might crank the bass til it sounds good, but then on a better system it will have too much bass, so on and so forth.

It’s easier to have an accurate reference that will translate well, but no foh PA is going to sound exactly like desktop monitors, venues have different acoustics etc.

Getting soemthing that sounds pretty good overall gives you the best chance of sounding good elsewhere, or at least less adjustment needed.

That said, it still really comes down to learning your system and how it relates.

I mix on my desktop monitors then go listen in my car, via headphones, I play it back on a laptop etc, to learn how what I want will sound to people listening to my music different ways

No point having it sound great from my $1000 speakers of the person listening with apple earbuds or laptop speakers thinks it sounds awful, need to match the end users typical playback system and often these days that isn’t a nice stereo system.

If you don't wanna buy a set of speakers or just can't turn it up because you end up bothering the family/neighbours my suggestion is to book a couple hours in a professional rehearsal room with your band with the solely purpose on getting yourselves to sound right. That way not only you can tweak your patches at gig-level volume, but your bassist and other guitarist(s) (if they're more in your band) can setup their sounds too and then you can fine tune once you get to soundcheck on the different venues you play at.

Reactions: Rex
What were you using before the AX8? What was your sound source - amp/cab?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom