ON the jump to KPA maybe

Ironwill

Experienced
Hey guys, after 2 Years having my Axe Fx II (I sold even my lovely Peavey 5150 sig. Head for it back then) iam more than happy hehe, I can create and get killer metal tones out of it, firmware 18.12 is amazing!! Iam still interested to ADD a Kemper to my setup as well now, curious to give it a try,most likely. A few things I already noticed after a look
- no parallel cabs in Stereo
- heard of bad sound together with real cabs
- Converters are less better
- Fixed to 44.1 24bit S/SDIF (sucks a bit because I mainly do all my recordings,mixes in 48khz sessions, AES for DI's, so I would skip the S/DIF option and go for analog I think.
These are the facts I don't like so much so far just

Are here Axe FX II users having a Kemper too? I know profiling is not modeling but maybe tell me what differnces in feel and sound you notice when comparing your results of the latest Firmware's 18.12 to Kemper firmware 3. ..?

Not sure if it really worth to buy a KPA rack even, maybe it only looks easier get great tones out when buying pro studio profiles, which I also can archieve or better with tweak Amps, Presets in my Axe for sure. Having that much profiled Amps available to load in the KPA makes it so insteresting to me at least, their are a few certain amps I don't see coming modelled to the Axe-Fx, thats why.

Last edited:
There's no better way for you to find out what the KPA is all about than to try it out. All we can give you is our own experiences which may be completely different than yours. I felt quite restricted with the KPA after being used to the Axe-Fx.

Yep

This is "The Lounge" stuff imho.. But as Mikko says. You got to try the stuff for yourself.

There's no better way for you to find out what the KPA is all about than to try it out. All we can give you is our own experiences which may be completely different than yours. I felt quite restricted with the KPA after being used to the Axe-Fx.
Yes, maybe I should go for a Trial.KPA's features looking already limited to me

Had one, decent unit, and if the Axe didn't exist I'd be very happy with it, but honestly for what these two units cost, I think its hard to justify owning both; or at least it was for me.

I got one after I already had the Axe, it sounded good, but didn't blow me away. Was pretty much right on par with the Axe, maybe a little better dynamics for the KPA, but this was back with FW9 or so. With the advances in feel and dynamics on the Axe, I personally don't think the KPA has any real advantage. That isn't to say it can't sound good, maybe as good as the Axe even, but its not sounding better, if that makes sense.

As such, given I already have an Axe, I don't see what adding a KPA would do for me, other than lighten my wallet and give me two different units to try to master, keep track of etc

Had one, decent unit, and if the Axe didn't exist I'd be very happy with it, but honestly for what these two units cost, I think its hard to justify owning both; or at least it was for me.

I got one after I already had the Axe, it sounded good, but didn't blow me away. Was pretty much right on par with the Axe, maybe a little better dynamics for the KPA, but this was back with FW9 or so. With the advances in feel and dynamics on the Axe, I personally don't think the KPA has any real advantage. That isn't to say it can't sound good, maybe as good as the Axe even, but its not sounding better, if that makes sense.

As such, given I already have an Axe, I don't see what adding a KPA would do for me, other than lighten my wallet and give me two different units to try to master, keep track of etc
Thanks for your sharing your experience mister, yes the price's are not cheap, main reason is Iam looking for some amp sounds we don't have in the Axe and for sure want to try something new too, I will see. Interested in how's the new KPA firmware against Axe 18/19.

Yep

This is "The Lounge" stuff imho.. But as Mikko says. You got to try the stuff for yourself.
Why is looking for User experience about comparing the Fractal Axe latest firmware to KPA OFF Topic?!
That's strict, well.. do we fear the (Enemy ) here.. sucks a bit

Why is looking for User experience about comparing the Fractal Axe latest firmware to KPA OFF Topic?!
That's strict, well.. do we fear the (Enemy ) here.. sucks a bit

I do agree it sucks, but happens on any forum, so not really a surprise, even happened to me in the recent past. I don't think your logic of where you posted the thread tho is solid, I feel if you're talking about another product "non fractal" "regardless if you're comparing it to the Axe II firmware or Axe II anything" belongs in the lounge, and from where I sit, it seems the mod's here or at least one of them agree's as it was moved. So instead of trying to justify putting it in the wrong section " just learn from it and move on" and we can all be close buds again:)

Since you asked for it :)

Hey guys, after 2 Years having my Axe Fx II
Yaaay!
(I sold even my lovely Peavey 5150 sig. Head for it back then)
What this has to do with the subject?

iam more than happy hehe, I can create and get killer metal tones out of it, firmware 18.12 is amazing!!
You can create such a killer sound and soooo happy, that your are looking into other solutions

I am still interested to ADD a Kemper to my setup as well now, curious to give it a try,most likely.
Sure! I am pretty sure it's a nice equipent. If you can afford it, why not? Still don't know, where you are coming from or where you are going.

A few things I already noticed after a look
- no parallel cabs in Stereo
- heard of bad sound together with real cabs
- Converters are less better
- Fixed to 44.1 24bit S/SDIF (sucks a bit because I mainly do all my recordings,mixes in 48khz sessions, AES for DI's, so I would skip the S/DIF option and go for analog I think.
- Less EQ options
These are the facts I don't like so much so far just
Ok, So YOU don't like these.Again, great! What does it have to do with us: Axe-Fx or Kemper users?

Are here Axe FX II users having a Kemper too?
If this is a real question, then there are several users here who have both, but most of us only use either or the other. Sorry, can't take this one serious.

I know profiling is not modeling but maybe tell me what differnces in feel and sound you notice when comparing your results of the latest Firmware's 18.12 to Kemper firmware 3. ..?
You want me to TELL you difference in feel and sound ... C'mon. At this point, you lost all seriousness.

Not sure if it really worth to buy a KPA rack even, maybe it only looks easier get great tones out when buying pro studio profiles, which I also can archieve or better with tweak Amps, Presets in my Axe for sure.
What do you mean easier. Why is that easier than downloading a preset?

Having that much profiled Amps available to load in the KPA makes it so insteresting to me at least,
Sorry I don't get it, there are several hundreds of presets available for the Axe-FX and yet still not interesting enough. You start sounding like a infomercial.

their are a few certain amps I don't see coming modelled to the Axe-Fx, thats why.
Well there 200+ amps in the AXE-FX and you crave that are not there. Again, you are not being specific.

Sooo, what is your question? The only question was for us to tell you the difference in feel and tone. Which is impossible. If we try, we have to make statements which one is better than the other. Guess what, most of us would prefer the Axe-fx on the Axe-fx forum.

By this time you also sound like a troll.

Please, sell your Axe and get a Kemper asap!

Last edited:
Ironwill: I read back your posts on the forum. Triple X. Randal Satan etc.

I would suggest to dive into IRs. Also, read up on those amps' components, which amp are they similiar to in the axe-fx and try to modify your preset based on that.

Sorry if I came through harsh in the previous post, but that was the right Tone [ ;) ] to your OP.

Peace!

Since you asked for it :)

Yaaay!

What this has to do with the subject?

You can create such a killer sound and soooo happy, that your are looking into other solutions

Sure! I am pretty sure it's a nice equipent. If you can afford it, why not? Still don't know, where you are coming from or where you are going.

Ok, So YOU don't like these.Again, great! What does it have to do with us: Axe-Fx or Kemper users?

If this is a real question, then there are several users here who have both, but most of us only use either or the other. Sorry, can't take this one serious.

You want me to TELL you difference in feel and sound ... C'mon. At this point, you lost all seriousness.

What do you mean easier. Why is that easier than downloading a preset?

Sorry I don't get it, there are several hundreds of presets available for the Axe-FX and yet still not interesting enough. You start sounding like a infomercial.

Well there 200+ amps in the AXE-FX and you crave that are not there. Again, you are not being specific.

Sooo, what is your question? The only question was for us to tell you the difference in feel and tone. Which is impossible. If we try, we have to make statements which one is better than the other. Guess what, most of us would prefer the Axe-fx on the Axe-fx forum.

By this time you also sound like a troll.

Please, sell your Axe and get a Kemper asap!

Come on, you are one of the idiots everyone talking about on the net I see, are you so bored or a bad comedian on Fractal forum? I will not discuss every comment of you to my post thats sure, no fun, I could but no time for such a shit

The Kemper is all about profiles. If you find some you like great, just don't try to tweak them much or they begin to sound off. The Fractal allows you far more ability to adjust the amp model to your tastes, your gear. I can't imagine combing through a hundred plexi profiles to find two usable tones when I can just adjust my Axe to find more tones faster.

If you got the GAS bug the only real cure involves spending money. Do it, try it and if you are happy then be happy. To me there is a list of things that you have that are non-starters because they aren't subjective, but actual features that the KPA doesn't have. But if you can work through or around them and it does what you need it then there's no reason to not do it.

I have a saying that anytime someone in operations comes to us with some new gear they want to buy....don't get caught up by the shiny blue lights. What I mean is that it is going to be exciting because it is different and it is new and you are going to be all giddy and shit, but once that newness wears off and you find yourself wanting one of those features that you gave up chances are really good that you are going to kick yourself a bit. So just be really, really objective when you are comparing them and make sure that you run it through it's paces and test everything.

If you got the GAS bug the only real cure involves spending money. Do it, try it and if you are happy then be happy. To me there is a list of things that you have that are non-starters because they aren't subjective, but actual features that the KPA doesn't have. But if you can work through or around them and it does what you need it then there's no reason to not do it.

I have a saying that anytime someone in operations comes to us with some new gear they want to buy....don't get caught up by the shiny blue lights. What I mean is that it is going to be exciting because it is different and it is new and you are going to be all giddy and shit, but once that newness wears off and you find yourself wanting one of those features that you gave up chances are really good that you are going to kick yourself a bit. So just be really, really objective when you are comparing them and make sure that you run it through it's paces and test everything.
Thx man, I will keep this in mind if I testing them in comparision.

They have them on the floor of my local guitar center. You could always go jam on one for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First replay was right on the money! There is truly no way to know without trying it. You can always return it if you don't like it. Fractal also offers this option. No single option is right for every guitarist. Ultimately what's "best" is up to you.

Back
Top Bottom