On Scott Peterson's recommendation

Thanks for the additional perspective guys. I guess I'll try to find one locally to try out first. It sounds like a very flexible problem solver, but I'm not sure whether the limitations will bother me. The music I will be playing will involve some amount of palm muting, so that issue may force me to just use the magnetic pickups which kind of defeats the purpose, but those acoustic sounds are pretty nice.

The JTV-69 is an awesome stage instrument once you replace the neck w/a decent strat neck and have it setup properly. I also added a tremol-no... now I can lock it down and get tons of sustain just like the set-neck models.

I am considering picking up a Variax JTV. I like the 69's trem and strat neck shape but can't get into the way it looks. I like the 59's looks and can live without the trem. My only concern with the 59 is neck shape. I am not that familiar with Gibson 50's neck shapes. Can one of you 59 owners explain how it compares to a PRS wide-fat, wide-thin, or regular neck?

I have a question about these (hope it's not OT): When using an acoustic model in the JTV, what sorts of amp/cab combinations are people using in the Axe? I'm interested in how this might differ from what's used with piezo pups, for example.

Edit: second question (I can't find the answer on the web): can the bridge HB be split (i.e., can you get a quack tone from bridge and middle on '69)?

Last edited:
I've been looking at these, so far the Korean ones are a little hard to come by in Canada.
Are the US models shipping yet?
I've been looking to replace my Ibanez RG 770 from 1990 that I have played into the ground.
The 89 seems like the neck would feel right, but no trem... :(
I had a Gen 1 600 series but really just hated the guitar, sounded awesome, just intonation sucked bad.
So if I did jump in I would want the US model for a no compromise guitar

Back
Top Bottom