On my computer, can I reconfigure a 3.0 USB or modify the Fractual USB file to use a different USB port?

SVOhio

Issue: I have 3 USB 3.0 ports on my computer but only one would recognize the FM9 through FM9-Edit. That port broke.

Is there a way to updated the FM9 Windows USB configuration file. Or does someone know how to do that on Windows? I'm just not sure if there anything I can do, so reaching out for some thoughts.

Question is a little confusing, but you don't need to use USB 3.0; a USB 2 port will work just fine. If that's the case, plug the device into a working USB 2 port and it should automatically detect the device and it should work in Windows. You shouldn't have to reconfigure or modify anything.

Question is a little confusing, but you don't need to use USB 3.0; a USB 2 port will work just fine. If that's the case, plug the device into a working USB 2 port and it should automatically detect the device and it should work in Windows. You shouldn't have to reconfigure or modify anything.
Sorry, you are right, it was confusing and I tried to edit to clarify. The FM9-Edit doesn't recognize the FM9 connected through the remaining USBs. So I wasn't sure if anyone encountered this. It's probably more a computer forum question than Fractal, but I wanted to ask here first if anyone had an issue with getting the FM9-Edit to recognize the FM9 through any USB port?

Other devices work on this broken port and the other two, but the FM9 is only recognized by FM9-Edit through the broken port. I did update the firmware USB driver (1.02) with the 5.00 update, but I see the Windows driver is new since early 2023. So thanks, I will give that a try.

Last edited:
Hope everything works out for you. Other option is to try another USB cable to eliminate the obvious.
Good suggestion and I did try a different cable in the other ports. I think I may need to purchase an adapter and try the USB-C port next.

There is a publicly available USB utility for Windows that will clear/reset the configs for your USB ports. If the new driver doesn't fix you up, Google for it.

@ocaptainjr2 I downloaded and installed the new USB driver and one of the two remaining USB ports worked, allowing the FM9-Edit to connect to the FM9. I'm satisfied with this fix for this thread.

However, the other good USB port would not work. So, I'm not sure why it won't work for all ports? Using a 3.1 USB female to USB-C also would not work.

@Warmart I will check out the Windows tool you suggested! :)

Back
Top Bottom