On a lighter note...

thekonas

Inspired
Hi all,
For those of you following my misadventures with the new AxeFx II, it will be on its way back to FAS tomorrow. In the meantime, I have learned enough about the Axe to know that I am all in. You know what that means..... GASFEST!

I am compiling a wish list....something that is within my means, given the amount of gear I have sold off and my "moonlighting" activities.

Here's what I currently have:
2005 American Standard Strat w/ Fralin Blues Specials
Two-Rock Studio Pro 22 Combo (as sweet as they say...)
New AxeFx II on the way...
Custom ATA Pedalboard (may sell it)
ATA amplifier case (Twin Reverb size, also likely up for sale)
Two Rock 2x12 Cabinet loaded with Celestions (likely up for sale, mostly due to size)
Two Pedals left! Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser and a Deville Deuce Coupe (up for sale)
Cioks AC-10 (possibly up for sale if there is no reason to use it in a killer Axe rig)
Sennheiser HD280 headphones (I got a great deal!)

All that said, I count myself very fortunate indeed. It seems silly to have such nice gear in light of my lack of musical talent, but I'll get there!

Here's what I think I may need. Of course I can independently research each piece of gear here (and probably still will), but I'l like to open it up to the experts in here. I am looking for a set-up for home use only, occasionally outdoors, and has to be sturdy enough for cross country moves (active duty Marine). I would like to keep the cost down where practicable and buy used or on sale.

Please chime in with recommendations, links and pictures. The rig set-up forum seemed a little dead so I figured I'd throw it to the masses :)

- Power Conditioner (maybe Carvin AC120S, what say you?)
- 8-10 Space shock mounted rack (do I need one this large?) (shock mounted?)
- Front Panel http://www.vafamsound.com/

- Expression pedals TBD (Boss, Mission, Ernie Ball)
- Midi Controller TBD (MFC-101…maybe, on the list!)
- Wireless rig for my guitar (line 6?) definitely not a necessity
- Rack mounted Power Amp or Powered Cab (fairly lost, thinking Matrix, but way more $$ than the standard SS amps)
- Studio Monitors (I'm lost here!)

Lots of rambling, but your help would certainly be appreciated while I play the "add to cart" game over the weekend.

The temptation is to go larger with racks, but they get out of hand real fast. A shock-mount rack is going to be heavier in and of itself, and while few things you'll put in it will weigh a lot, altogether they will add up until you have a box that weighs 150 pounds and requires a hand truck and/or dolly to move.

I'm in the process now of shrinking my racks for that very reason. Gotta keep 'em manageable. Many of the setups I've seen where Axe FX units are in play are only 2 to 4 spaces. Don't need much more than that. Let the PA guys handle the rackloads of amps/patch panels/crossovers/mixers and whatnot.

If you like how the pedals and the amp sound, keep them until you get them dialed into the Axe FX II. I bought a Tortuga Abduction Dual Germanium Overdrive a couple weeks back and dialed that into the Axe FX II. I still keep my around as test beds.

The temptation is to go larger with racks, but they get out of hand real fast. A shock-mount rack is going to be heavier in and of itself, and while few things you'll put in it will weigh a lot, altogether they will add up until you have a box that weighs 150 pounds and requires a hand truck and/or dolly to move.

I'm in the process now of shrinking my racks for that very reason. Gotta keep 'em manageable. Many of the setups I've seen where Axe FX units are in play are only 2 to 4 spaces. Don't need much more than that. Let the PA guys handle the rackloads of amps/patch panels/crossovers/mixers and whatnot.

That's a great point, no matter how strong we may be. I can alway stack cases at home if need be. I certainly don't need a "World Tour of Sucking at Guitar" set-up anytime soon :)

Last edited:
I wish I could have done this when I had all of my great pedals. As it were, I will certainly give the Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phaser a try, presuming it doesn't sell by the time the new Axe arrives.

Back
Top Bottom