OMG I love the '59 Bassman!

Philip34

Experienced
From the beginning of my Axe2 (FW 5), I could never get a satisfying Bassman sound. I guess partly bc I didn't ever play or hear one up close, so I didn't know what it was really supposed to sound like.

Either way, after loading 12.04b, I revisited an old Bassman patch, reset the amp, cranked the Drive & MV all the way, cut & brt switches on, cut bass a tad, add a pinch of mid & treble, pres around 3.5. Lo res at 7.00, Bassguy mix cab with some room.

It just sounds amazing- all nasty, grainy with a BBE in front, cleans up with a guitar vol roll-off.

I find myself enjoying older amps more often, even for metal.

Yeah, me too. I always feel slightly guilty about coming back to it as it was always the first in the list and hence the first amp I played. Sounds F-ing awesome though!

I use the 59 Bassman as the platform for virtually all my live tones. Clean, crunch, leads. I just apply different drive pedals, gains etc. I feel should be using loads of other amps but this just sounds so good!!

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago while rehearsing and learning some classic rock. We were on 12.03 in beta at the time. '59 Bassman was all the songs needed to sound authentic.

Hey guys! I'm in the midst of recording an album for my band (prog metal ie. NOT DJENT.) and have been trying to dial in a good bass tone that can be used in both heavy riff driven sections and lighter melodic sections.
So far I've gotten some decent results, but it's missing something. I'm a guitarist and have just really started playing bass, and love it. But my ear for bass tones is in it's infancy!

Can you guys hook up some of your Bassman patches? I'd love to try them, hear them and see your chains.
Cheers!

the Bassman amp is a guitar amp (yes it started out as a "bass" amp, but not used for that anymore).

you should start your own thread with that question, as this thread really isn't about bass guitar :)

ah-hem.

Well, yes, the bassman is really a mind blower for me. I remember playing through one in the mid '70s thinking "man I gotta get me a real amp". WTF??

Kids are just stupid, or at least I was. Wish I had that and the old champ I used to treat like crap.

Back
Top Bottom