OMG-9, Effects for idiots?

addedc

Experienced
I have been on the Fractal ride since the Ultra but can not wrap my head around footswitches and layouts on the FM3. I have read the manual, the footswitch manual, watched Carter's videos, but I don't get it.

What I want to do is add a Null Filter and EQ boost switch to most of my presets. I have done that in FM-3 Edit. But they don't show up on theFC-6 when I activate the Effects menu with the FM3. The effects I deleted still show up, not the ones I added. Seems like I need to change a layout to do this but I don't understand how to do that. Sorry to be so stupid but would appreciate any help. Dementia sucks. ;- )

the footswitches are separate from the layout grid.

adding a block to the grid won't automatically create a switch for it. where would it go? what order? would it ignore the Amp block? etc.

just click FC Controllers button in Edit top right, then adjust the footswitches to what you want. it's very simple. or read the owner's manual for how to adjust the footswitches on the hardware itself.

i've done several livestreams showing how to adjust footswitches. go through the video to see examples in action. start around 13:50. i do livestreams often, you can ask questions right there and i can show you.

Thanks. I checked out your video and when I went to clear the layout, I got error messages that did not show up in your video so I did not proceed. On the Axe8 this was so easy. You just dragged effects from the layout on to the footswitches. I have spent a good three or four hours trying to figure out how to do that with this and can't figure it out. I know it's me as everyone else seems to get it. If anyone can walk me through it, I would appreciate it. All I want to do is have two different boosts -- a Null Filter and a EQ -- show up as switchable effects on the FC6 in an OMG9 set up.

Thanks. I checked out your video and when I went to clear the layout, I got error messages that did not show up in your video so I did not proceed. On the Axe8 this was so easy. You just dragged effects from the layout on to the footswitches. I have spent a good three or four hours trying to figure out how to do that with this and can't figure it out. I know it's me as everyone else seems to get it. If anyone can walk me through it, I would appreciate it. All I want to do is have two different boosts -- a Null Filter and a EQ -- show up as switchable effects on the FC6 in an OMG9 set up.
why clear the entire Layout? just replace what you need to.

you do not drag Effect blocks to the switches.

in Edit, click the FC Controllers button.

go to one of the Layouts with effects already on it.

click on a switch that you want to put the Filter block on it

below, set the Tap area to Effect, Bypass, Filter.

repeat for EQ.

This may be because I installed the OMG9 software update, but when I get to a layout page with effects on it, number 3 in my case, it just shows the effects as unassigned. When I click on a switch, it does not give an option to add an effect. My options are copy switch, clear switch, copy override. I do not get this at all. I like the way it sounds better than the AX8, but the AX8 made a lot more sense and the documentation was comprehensible to an idiot like me. This is not.

This may be because I installed the OMG9 software update, but when I get to a layout page with effects on it, number 3 in my case, it just shows the effects as unassigned. When I click on a switch, it does not give an option to add an effect. My options are copy switch, clear switch, copy override. I do not get this at all. I like the way it sounds better than the AX8, but the AX8 made a lot more sense and the documentation was comprehensible to an idiot like me. This is not.
to be honest, the OMG9 is much more complex than the normal way of using the switches.

there are 9 Layouts. with the FM3 and FC6 together, they share the same 9 layouts. in the OMG9, some layouts are dedicated to the FM3, and some are dedicated to the FC6. it is crucial to use the Layouts as intended with this very specific setup. Layout 3 should be the Effects Layout and you should be seeing phaser, chorus, etc. as outlined in the OMG9 guide:Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 8.44.01 PM.png

if you don't see this, there's a chance the Layouts weren't installed correctly.

i would highly recommend putting the OMG9 concept aside for now.

just put the factory default footswitch settings back and learning how to use them on the FM3 only first. this will teach you how to use it. once you have that, then the more complex OMG9 layout may be easier to understand.

the OMG9 uses a sort of "trick" to make it function the way it does. without understanding how to use it without the "trick" first, it may seem very confusing.

i could jump on a livestream real quick to explain the OMG9. are you available to watch in the next 15 minutes or so? you can chat with me if you already use YouTube, Twitch, Mixer or Facebook. let me know.

Click on it and look in the area underneath. Don't right click, just left click. Underneath it shows you what press does and what hold does. It'll say something like Effects Select Delay1 and you could change that to Filter.

You can also set per preset effects instead. Rather than the FC button, press per preset next to it. Same process after, but you get different effects on every preset which is handy with fewer switches. Of course you need to switch to the per preset layout rather than effects layout to access.

Sorry Chris, I was off the computer last night. Any chance of doing this today or tomorrow? I think we are both in the same time zone.

Sorry Chris, I was off the computer last night. Any chance of doing this today or tomorrow? I think we are both in the same time zone.
I have work today, might be able to jump on this evening.

I did livestream last night a general “how to OMG9” on my AxeFxTutorials YouTube channel. Maybe that can help for now?

Thanks Chris,

Your written explanation above solved the problem for me. That and the layouts did not seem to fully load when I first installed the OMG9 file. Reinstalling it got them populated, which helped a lot. Appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom