Old Patch Suddenly Too Much CPU Usage?

RockYoWorld

Inspired
Hi guys,

I've been using the same main patch for about a year now. I tweaked some things to it a month ago, but it was working just fine. At home, I run my Axe FX II XL+ (on the latest Ares FW) on with it connected via USB to my Win10 PC for patch editing, but with the audio going through XLR to my audio interface. Today, I fired up my Axe FX like usual, but my main patch started getting digital distortion/fragments.

The LCD screen on the unit flashes a message that says something like "Excess CPU. Reduce Load." But I've been using this patch with no problems in its current state for a month or so. Axe Edit does say it has a CPU load of 92%, which is high, and seems higher than I remember it being. My other main patches that are less load don't have this problem. The real kicker is that when I unplug the USB cable, all the issues stop and I can play everything just fine. I even restarted my PC and while it was restarting and plugged in by USB, everything was fine, but after Windows 10 loaded up completely, it started happening again.

This is without having any DAW or other audio recorder up, too. I also made sure the Windows Sound settings weren't using any of the Axe FX digital signals.

Any ideas?

Connecting USB will draw on the the cpu I imagine and enough to tip your preset over the edge. Try reducing the cpu level, maybe by say changing a reverb quality to normal, a standard res cab, or something similar which doesn't impact too much on your functionality

Connecting USB will draw on the the cpu I imagine and enough to tip your preset over the edge. Try reducing the cpu level, maybe by say changing a reverb quality to normal, a standard res cab, or something similar which doesn't impact too much on your functionality

The thing is that I've used same exact patch for a whole bunch of hours over the past month with it connected via USB without any issues. Why the sudden change? Is it a change of degradation of the unit? I had a 4-hour rehearsal with my band without any issues on the unit itself. The MFC-101 Mk III had to be unplugged and cycled the Axe FX because the button that activates my lead boost wasn't registering.

I've had a serious reduction in gear money with all but 2 gigs being canceled this summer due to COVID, but I'm starting to feel a little worried about the reliability live. I plan on bringing my AX8 as a backup to those 2 shows, but the patches have to be simpler than the Axe FX II XL+ and just don't sound quite as good.

Back
Top Bottom