Old Dog...New Tricks...

mark149

I'm new to Fractal and the FM3 and to being on a forum for that matter. I first started coming to the forum the day I ordered my FM3. I've read a lot of posts the first couple of days and there were 2 suggestions that kept coming up for new users that turned out to be a godsend for me. #1: Read the manual ( something I used to do only as a last resort). #2: Check out Cooper Carters FM3 master class. So this time I did both, I just wanted to say that as a new user I thought the manual is well written and easy to follow, read it BEFORE you plug in the FM3. As for #2 Carters master class, for me it is worth every cent. All the videos are there to refer back to, it takes what's in the manual and brings it to a whole new level. Less frustration=More fun playing. Something else also; the knowledge of Fractal, Music and Sound that's embedded in this forum is incredible, and a Thank You to those who take the time to post and have done so for years to share their knowledge to help others like myself, again Thanks. One last Forum question: I'm having some issues with a few of the Preset Rigs do I post that on the bugs thread?

I'm having some issues with a few of the Preset Rigs do I post that on the bugs thread?
Almost certainly an issue with a Preset is not a bug.

I'd suggest posting in the Discussion forum unless you're really convinced it's a bug.

And thank you for reading the manual first!

I'm new to Fractal and the FM3 and to being on a forum for that matter. I first started coming to the forum the day I ordered my FM3. I've read a lot of posts the first couple of days and there were 2 suggestions that kept coming up for new users that turned out to be a godsend for me. #1: Read the manual ( something I used to do only as a last resort). #2: Check out Cooper Carters FM3 master class. So this time I did both, I just wanted to say that as a new user I thought the manual is well written and easy to follow, read it BEFORE you plug in the FM3. As for #2 Carters master class, for me it is worth every cent. All the videos are there to refer back to, it takes what's in the manual and brings it to a whole new level. Less frustration=More fun playing. Something else also; the knowledge of Fractal, Music and Sound that's embedded in this forum is incredible, and a Thank You to those who take the time to post and have done so for years to share their knowledge to help others like myself, again Thanks. One last Forum question: I'm having some issues with a few of the Preset Rigs do I post that on the bugs thread?
Some learn best by reading, some by seeing a demonstration, some by doing, and combinations of the 3. You're off to a great start!
Cooper shows you how to build presets, which is a must, but I'd also like to recommend giving all the factory presets a listen. There's stuff in there that is simply amazing, and if, er, when, you find one that sounds particularly awesome, you can go through and see how it was built, or like I do, take certain blocks and use them in your own presets. Lots of great starting points in those presets!

I'd also like to recommend giving all the factory presets a listen. There's stuff in there that is simply amazing, and if, er, when, you find one that sounds particularly awesome, you can go through and see how it was built, or like I do, take certain blocks and use them in your own presets. Lots of great starting points in those presets!
The Fractal factory presets are not like those found in the “L” brand’s hardware, especially since they hand-tuned them for Cygnus. There are many I accepted as-is into my list of favorites because they sound good. And there’s a lot to learn by digging into them.

I have been thru all the presets quickly and color coded then as to what had promise. I definitely am having an issue with quite a few. The gain channels seen to be where the problems are. Some the static and buzzing, crackeling is so bad you can't make out the guitar at all. Many as if the speaker is so overdriven it's going to explode. Nothing changes it, tried to level everything, tried every knob on the scene could not get it to change at all. Turn down the output level it just gets quieter. There are many great clean preset rigs in the FM3 and I downloaded some from Leon Todd that sound great but some of these have me scratching my head.

What are you listening through? Headphones? Monitors? Maybe a stupid suggestion, but make sure your cab sims are turned on in settings. Power amp sim on too.

Some the static and buzzing, crackeling is so bad you can't make out the guitar at all. Many as if the speaker is so overdriven it's going to explode. Nothing changes it, tried to level everything, tried every knob on the scene could not get it to change at all.
sounds like something isn’t setup right. No factory presets sound like things will explode. Only certain knobs would change things, as well.

Do you have a YouTube account? I can live stream and talk you through some things if we can coordinate and you’re ok with typing.

I followed Cooper on set up of settings, everything is on. My Fm3 goes out to yamaha mg10 mixer out to hs8 speakers or shure 425 in ears. One thing i did notice this morning is that on preset 289 1967 all over again, I went back to this one because it was so messed up. Play one note sound comes off and on cant tell what fractal was going for here. So I shut off all the effects, ran amp an cab dry. Ok good so far alittle muddy but not bad went down the line all worked ok. Came to amp cab and delay it went crazy sound cut in and out.

I followed Cooper on set up of settings, everything is on. My Fm3 goes out to yamaha mg10 mixer out to hs8 speakers or shure 425 in ears. One thing i did notice this morning is that on preset 289 1967 all over again, I went back to this one because it was so messed up. Play one note sound comes off and on cant tell what fractal was going for here. So I shut off all the effects, ran amp an cab dry. Ok good so far alittle muddy but not bad went down the line all worked ok. Came to amp cab and delay it went crazy sound cut in and out.
that preset is designed around special effects. it's not a typical preset.

it cuts off because of the Delay block and that's intentional.

i wouldn't set things up around this preset, as it is a very special effect. Scene 5 - where the Delay block is turned off - behaves more normally.

so what you're experiencing on this preset is normal and expected.

Some learn best by reading, some by seeing a demonstration, some by doing, and combinations of the 3. You're off to a great start!
Cooper shows you how to build presets, which is a must, but I'd also like to recommend giving all the factory presets a listen. There's stuff in there that is simply amazing, and if, er, when, you find one that sounds particularly awesome, you can go through and see how it was built, or like I do, take certain blocks and use them in your own presets. Lots of great starting points in those presets!

i wouldn't set things up around this preset, as it is a very special effect. Scene 5 - where the Delay block is turned off - behaves more normally.

Don't get it if that delay block is engaged none of the scenes are playable.

Don't get it if that delay block is engaged none of the scenes are playable.
that's how the preset is set up. it works for me. i think it's using an Envelope (the signal from your guitar) to start and stop the sound.

i don't know what "playable" means to you, but if you aren't getting any signal most of the time, your guitar may not be sending enough signal into the unit for the Envelope to open.

i would leave this preset alone - it's a special effects preset and not an indicator of how the unit works as a whole. the Delay block is a very special setup.

however, again if it's not working for you, it could indicate incorrect setup or something.

if you have a YouTube or Twitch account, i can live stream for you later today (around 7 hours from the time of this post) and show you.

scene1 with the the delay bypassed, I get a sort of jimmy's star spangled banner .With the delay on I get a weird scrapping sounds and the sound completely cuts on and off.

that's how the preset is set up. it works for me. i think it's using an Envelope (the signal from your guitar) to start and stop the sound.

i don't know what "playable" means to you, but if you aren't getting any signal most of the time, your guitar may not be sending enough signal into the unit for the Envelope to open.

i would leave this preset alone - it's a special effects preset and not an indicator of how the unit works as a whole. the Delay block is a very special setup.

however, again if it's not working for you, it could indicate incorrect setup or something.

if you have a YouTube or Twitch account, i can live stream for you later today (around 7 hours from the time of this post) and show you.
I dont have a you tube account right now. But thank you so much for the offer!!!! I will just have to get by with the ones that work.

scene1 with the the delay bypassed, I get a sort of jimmy's star spangled banner .With the delay on I get a weird scrapping sounds and the sound completely cuts on and off.
yes. that's how the Delay block is programmed currently. i would bypass and save it, or just not use this preset.

I dont have a you tube account right now. But thank you so much for the offer!!!! I will just have to get by with the ones that work.
to be honest, all the presets "work" but that one is just a specific effect that isn't what you're going for at the moment.

but yes, use presets that do what you want as they are when you're starting out.

yes. that's how the Delay block is programmed currently. i would bypass and save it, or just not use this preset.

to be honest, all the presets "work" but that one is just a specific effect that isn't what you're going for at the moment.

but yes, use presets that do what you want as they are when you're starting out.
Thanks chris for your help it's just kind of sucks I can't use any of the hi gain amps in the FM3.

Back
Top Bottom