Old carver TFM 15CB? Good choice?

Just picked up an AXE ultra and am trying to start building out the rest of my rig. I currently have a Tech 21 PowerEngine 60 but it is not cutting the mustard given the quality of the AXE. So, in the market for a power amp and cab. I have read a ton of posts on this forum around good choices.. Question I have... I have an old carver tfm 15cb audiophile tube amp.. Here are the specs:

Specifications:
8-ohm FTC rated power/ch 100W
4-ohm FTC rated power/ch 140W
2-ohm dynamic power/ch 200W Bridged mono power 300W
4/8-ohm FTC rated THD 0.1%
Input Impedance (Line) 30K ohms
Input Sensitivity 0.7V Gain 32 dB
Rated full power bandwidth 20 - 20kHz
S/N-IHF A-Weighted,dB > 110 dB
Power Consumption 300 W
Dynamic Headroom 1.1 dB
Dimensions 3.6 x 19 x 13"

Do folks think this could be paired with a nice FRFR setup or should I opt for a new ART SLA. I know I could just try it to see how it sounds but wanted to get folks opinion before going through the hassle.

Your feedback is appreciated..

Brian

I'd recommend giving it a go, I recently snagged a Carver PCM 300 and have been very impressed with it. (btw, TFM 15CB is not a tube amp, it would be twice the size and weight if it were lol )

Depending on which existing amplifier you're coming from, you may find that 100W of SS power into 8 ohms lacks a certain "punch," especially for high-volume, clean tones.

If you're accustomed to 50W of tube power into 8 ohms, you might want to consider SS power amps in the 200W-250W (8 ohms) range.

Back
Top Bottom