Ola's "In The Room" series and how to apply it to the AxeFx?

There are some Far Field (distant miked) IRs that are available for free at the top of this forum's main page. Also, Cooper Carter goes over how to use eq and filters to achieve this in his Axe Fx III course (highly recommended for this and the other 12 + hours of Axe III content).

I usually add reverb block at the end of the chain, using "Ambiance". This really helps. Sometimes I do Studio Room A (or something like that).
I prefer this to cab block's room reverb.

In addition, the far field IRs that are stickied actually pretty good for this (though not necessary).
I pretty much only use the mesa one, I change the IR length to 512, bump up the proximity quite a bit, and add some high/low cut to it.
I mix it with the cabs that I like. Then I adjust low/high cut on the whole cab.

I’ve found that changing the “room level” parameter in the cab block gives a more (in the room) sound and helps give an even better bass response. For me, it’s the first thing I change and it makes a huge difference.

The Amp was in my room, than i captured the room and put it in my speakers...to play my captured room through my speakers in my room than some others played my room through their speakers in their room to listen how in the room was my amp in their room to make my room sound more like their room ...or to make their room sound like my room.

Chasing the tail...sorry amp in the room :)

(i still also enjoy a real guitar speaker more than FRFR....but not for recording or creating tones for live)

Last edited:
I watched Ola's video, but it seems to miss the point. He can't comment on whether his mic technique captured the sound of the amp in the room until he listens to the playback of the recording and says either "yes, that's what it sounded like in the room" or "no, that's not what it sounded like". The video is missing that evaluation of the playback of the recording. We weren't there so we can't do that comparison, only he can do that.

Where do you guys with real cabs position yourselves when you play/stand/sit? I don't think I've ever sat next to the cab like Ola. I stand about 7 feet back right in front of the cab. 4x12 slant cab. I don't blast the volume though.

The best way to do this is to route the guitar into a solid state amp and guitar cab. :)

Where do you guys with real cabs position yourselves when you play/stand/sit? I don't think I've ever sat next to the cab like Ola. I stand about 7 feet back right in front of the cab. 4x12 slant cab. I don't blast the volume though.

I'll sit on the floor and listen to the cabs playing straight at me. If I'm standing or in a chair I'll lean the cabs back to stay in the line of fire.

I also only play at about TV volume at home.

Back
Top Bottom