Okay/Legal to Sell Ownhammer/Redwirez With Axe?

sgplayer76

Inspired
Hey Guys, sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, but I am looking for a bit of guidance. I recently upgraded from a Axe Standard to the Axe II. I'm planning to list my standard on eBay tonight and need to know whether or not I can transfer the Ownhammer and Redwirez IRs that I have purchased for the unit (4 OH and 2 RW). I looked at several other eBay listings and noticed many sellers offering CDs with the IRs included (not planning to do this). I'm sure this is a violation of the "terms of use agreement" for Ownhammer and/or Redwirez, but I could see where including the IRs already on the unit could add some value. I'm planning to delete them from the user-slots if it is a big no-no though... Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I can't believe this is a real question. It is illegal to give away music and software you purchase/license. The same applies here.

Ownhammer is pretty clear on the policy and they even have a license transfer page on their site. Once you transfer it you it is no longer yours and you should delete it. I assume Redwirez has a similar policy.

I'm asking only because the vast majority on eBay ignore the policy and list "Ownhammer and Redwirez" right in the title of their auction. As you read in my first post, I was actually planning on deleting the User IRs, so that nothing is included (as I read the terms of use). It just does not make sense that so many people blatantly abuse/take advantage of policies like this. Although I know it is still kind of the same thing, I was more interested in opinions on keeping/deleting the 10 cabs loaded in the User bank (either paid or free content). To be safe, I think I will delete everything - we are talking about less than $30 in IRs anyways. Definitely not worth the headache... I appreciate your opinion. We are on the same page.

Last edited:
Don't know abuout the ownhammers.... But the Redwirez are still useful in the Axe-FX II world...you just download the Axe-FX II versions of the ones you purchased from them.... At no extra cost... All very cool

Can you sell a CD player with a CD inside? Yes you can, but then the CD no longer belongs to you to use, and you are not suppose to make a copy for yourself prior to the sale. The question becomes, are you trying to increase your sales value while simultaneously keep the IRs for your own use?

The complete lack of prosecution of these crimes highlights the fact the attitudes towards intellectual property are far behind those of physical property.

If you see a unit being sold with the Redwirez or Ownhammer stuff do your duty as a supporter of their products and shoot the seller an email or report it to Ebay and let them handle it. I assume most of these sellers just don't know any better and aren't trying to maximize profit but a few are and those are the ones that need their cage rattled into compliance.

Just sell it with and don't use the IR's. I know ownhammer lets you re download them at any point once you've purchased so I would assume you could just give the buyer the licence and that's it. Once you buy something it belongs to you and you are free to do whatever you want with it. That said, I would like to think that most of us here are honest enough to do the right thing and not make duplicates. With all the great stuff coming out from OH and RW, I wouldn't want to bite the hand that feeds us.

It's just much easier to just delete the IR's. In fact, I would also do a factory reset, maybe even reload the factory banks.

RedWirez will let you re-download your purchase, you can use the AxeFX II versions of your IRs.
OwnHammer I think has some tool that will let you convert to AxeFx II? Not sure since I don't have OwnHammer IRs.

So they can still be useful to you, no need to give them up.

And people are pretty polarized about all these intellectual property stuff. I mean Apple and Samsung suing each other for the sole purpose of delaying time-to-market is also an artifact of this intellectual property issue; it is now a dirty but legal anti-competitive business strategy. So are the "patent troll" companies... basically NPE companies that make no products, they just go and file/buy really broad and ambiguous patents, and start suing everyone they can. The trick is they set the "price" so that it's cheaper to pay up than to fight the patent infringement claim in court. Straight out of RIAA playbook. It's legal.

I agree intellectual property should not be free-for-all. While intellectual property producers do need protection, we can't just go the other way and smash everything with a giant hammer either. I don't know the solution, but I can tell you, the way it is, it's broken.

Sorry for the off topic remarks.

It's just much easier to just delete the IR's. In fact, I would also do a factory reset, maybe even reload the factory banks.

RedWirez will let you re-download your purchase, you can use the AxeFX II versions of your IRs.
OwnHammer I think has some tool that will let you convert to AxeFx II? Not sure since I don't have OwnHammer IRs.

So they can still be useful to you, no need to give them up.

And people are pretty polarized about all these intellectual property stuff. I mean Apple and Samsung suing each other for the sole purpose of delaying time-to-market is also an artifact of this intellectual property issue; it is now a dirty but legal anti-competitive business strategy. So are the "patent troll" companies... basically NPE companies that make no products, they just go and file/buy really broad and ambiguous patents, and start suing everyone they can. The trick is they set the "price" so that it's cheaper to pay up than to fight the patent infringement claim in court. Straight out of RIAA playbook. It's legal.

I agree intellectual property should not be free-for-all. While intellectual property producers do need protection, we can't just go the other way and smash everything with a giant hammer either. I don't know the solution, but I can tell you, the way it is, it's broken.

Sorry for the off topic remarks.
Actually, I think your comments fit right into the topic and are quite insightful. I'm going to look into whether or not I can convert my Axe I to Axe II Ownhammers tomorrow morning...
I cleared everything out (all IRs and my personal patches) before putting it in the box (its listed on eBay now). I'm sure I would not have had any issues had I left everything loaded on the unit, however I decided that doing the right thing - especially for a couple of companies whose owners post regularly on this forum and their products are now becoming standard on the Axe II - really made a lot more sense than tiny extra value it might have added to my sale.

Actually, I think your comments fit right into the topic and are quite insightful. I'm going to look into whether or not I can convert my Axe I to Axe II Ownhammers tomorrow morning...
I cleared everything out (all IRs and my personal patches) before putting it in the box (its listed on eBay now). I'm sure I would not have had any issues had I left everything loaded on the unit, however I decided that doing the right thing - especially for a couple of companies whose owners post regularly on this forum and their products are now becoming standard on the Axe II - really made a lot more sense than tiny extra value it might have added to my sale.

You're a straight up guy man. Ou handled it just right. Good luck with the sale, I hope you can move it quickly. I have no doubt you will.

Back
Top Bottom