OK OK weight and size aside..... SS poweramp opinions

jhuggins

Inspired
I want to know what the current opinion is on some great solid state options taking form factor out of the equation. If you were just looking for warm round rich tone, and didn't gig much and didn't mind making a second trip to the car, what poweramp would you buy. I would really like to stick with solid state. Thanks in advance!

Even with weight and size aside a "good" SS power amp is not going to color the signal that is to be amplified. Form the most exspensive SS poweramp to the least it doesn't seem to make a (huge) difference when used with the Axe. Most of the amps we are using have been built to be used with P/A in mind. If your using it soley for the Axe it doesn't make a big differance Which is probably why most like the ART SLA, small fairly light and packs a pretty good punch. If I were using it to power a P/A system in conjunction with the Axe I would not be using the ART. I would be looking at Crest Audio or something of that caliber.

The more economical switchmode power supply type amps might be a little different in the highs. Personally I haven't had the chance to play the Axe through one yet. One of the fourm members tried the Carvin DCM200L and I think he posted that he didn't like the way the high end came accross, said it was a bit harsh acording to him. Cliff posted the same with respect to this type of poweramp so it appears that if you go that direction you need to spend a bit more to get a better sounding amp.

thankyou! I believe that confirmed my suspicion and I was looking at getting the art... I just keep seeing all these people comparing different SS poweramps and some are much more expensive, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Power/wattage aside if two poweramps claim to be relatively "flat" what makes one more expensive than another? Is it weight/class? Or are we really paying for the name?

I could only find "warm round rich tone" in tube based power amps.
In comparison, the SS amps I tried were sterile/processed. Too much CRACK.
I would like to see a parameter exposed to reduce the amount of Axe Crack and round things out a bit. ;)
Note: I did not spend hundreds of hours EQing. Just because I couldn't get there with SS doesn't mean it can't be accomplished.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem

YMMV, IMHO, etc, etc.

Back
Top Bottom