OK...I'm in....just ordered AXE FX II XL+ to replace Line6 PODHD500X

Long podX3Live user here.

The POD was great at the time, but... I really have no words for the brutal difference.

Take it this way: The AXE is the real amp, with the real cab... Then the POD would be the highly compressed 128kb mp3 audio record of someone playing that amp.

Summary, think of the POD as a toy, or a starter kit to enter the world of amps and effects. What you have there is basically how the amps would sound in a particular instant, while on the AXE u have the actual amp.

When I had the X3 i was in school, I would always dream of getting an axe, but I was so poor I hardly had money to have lunch. 5 years later, already in 4th year of electrical engineering, I was able to buy one. It arrived just after some perfect vacations at the beach. My god my life changed. From eating a little rice a day to this D:
I still love my X3 though, cos it was my loyal partner for years. Not gonna sell it for anything.

One thing I would have to say for myself is that the out of the box "wow" factor was not as strong as I thought it would be. The less advanced modelers are a lot more "idealized" in their tones if you get my meaning. They sound decent quickly on the surface which can enhance your initial impression, but they don't really set up or react the same way as an amp. The Axe DOES. When you take your time to do the research for the best ways to set up the actual amps that the axe models, and then apply this to your axe settings, you will be amazed at the depth of character you will find. It's worth doing the homework, and your sound will be miles ahead of where you got it with the line6.

nah, return it for the ART SGE circa 1995

I had the SGX2000 back in the day... Ordered from musicians friend and waited a year! And the X-15 midi controller!

It was pretty cool for that time... Learned about midi controllers and "morphing" sounds with that. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah its a great unit, im loving mine a whole lot. I waited for about 3 years before i got the Axe FX 2 XL+. Before i got the unit, i had a Mark 5 mesa, A Joe Satriani signature marshall, A Marshall 1959HW Jose High Gain VooDoo amp, etc, and yet im loving the AXe FX 2 XL+ a whole lot more, because i have all the pedals, and all the lovely speaker cabinets to play with along side the lovely amp models. Axe Edit is fantastic, its easy to use and dead simply to get your head around for most things. Its not perfect, but thats because its growing all the time, but at present its a great time to buy, as its come a long way and beats out the other units out there. The drive section is ok at best, and some are drive pedals great, but when i use a real overdrive into the front of the axe fx, like a real pure overdrive i have, The JD Screamer True Vintage pedal, it beats out all the axe drive pedals by a million miles. The TS808 doesnt sound that great in the axe - to me anyhow. So i think the drive pedals in the axe fx need lots of work, but they are still good to use and you dont notice any limitations really because you can simply adjust so many other parameters that lets you bring the tone to where you want it pretty dam quick, like speakers changes and mics etc etc. YOu have made a good purchase, but make sure you get a FRFR speaker for it similar to an active CLR wedge or there abouts, or you will almost be wasting your time. You need to use the amp "and" speaker models together to get full enjoyment from the unit, thats my 2 cents anyhow.

I'm intrested in what you said about the pedals.

I remeber, years ago, some guy comapred the real pedals to the Ultra's models and they were almost the same. They're probably even far better now.
I have compared a few drive pedals, and the AXE killed the need for me to use my real ones. I tired some Boss pedals and the Marshall blues breaker and to me, there was no difference.

Also, remember that the TS808 model on the axe is based on a TS9, which might explain why you don't like it that much.

I also came from the pod hd 500. Didn't sell it either because I'm using the pod as a midi controller for the axe fx. It works and gets the basic functions down. One thing I do miss from the pod hd is the patterned tremolo. I can't seem to replicate that one with the axe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also came from the pod hd 500. Didn't sell it either because I'm using the pod as a midi controller for the axe fx. It works and gets the basic functions down. One thing I do miss from the pod hd is the patterned tremolo. I can't seem to replicate that one with the axe

Use the step sequencer. Here's an example using the step sequencer on the wah block. Just replace with the volume or pan block to get sequenced tremolo:

Patch linked in the soundcloud post.

Use the step sequencer. Here's an example using the step sequencer on the wah block. Just replace with the volume or pan block to get sequenced tremolo:

Patch linked in the soundcloud post.

I'll give that a shot if I get home before midnight. Thanks bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's an example patch that uses the sequencer to pattern a tremolo:

Preset is here: Axe-Change - Download Preset - Sequenced Tremolo - by iaresee

I used a ping-pong delay for some extra wow. The sequencer tempo and delay tempo are related -- delay is dotted eights, sequencer pattern is playing back at 1/16th. Keeping things locked tight to the tempo lets you change the tempo and have it all line up the same way, just faster.

With proper tweaking maybe you can get the WOW factor. POD HD500X is still a good effects though. I still keep both my AXE FX II Mark I and PD HD500X including my Boss GT100. Remember the WOW depends on what speakers is going out of the AX FX II.

I'm intrested in what you said about the pedals.

I remeber, years ago, some guy comapred the real pedals to the Ultra's models and they were almost the same. They're probably even far better now.
I have compared a few drive pedals, and the AXE killed the need for me to use my real ones. I tired some Boss pedals and the Marshall blues breaker and to me, there was no difference.

Also, remember that the TS808 model on the axe is based on a TS9, which might explain why you don't like it that much.

I think for some things like the big muff. The AXE is a better option than purchasing the current models. Not that there is anything wrong with the current models. But a old worn in big muff sounds different based on the breakdown of the transistors. Compared to a fresh new one, the ability to choose between such differences in the AXE is wonderful.

I am sure there are other effects to that this is a better option for. Not to mention easier tour and care for said effects in this package.

I came to the Axe-Fx from a POD XT Live about six months ago. I still get the WOW factor every time I play though it.

I came from a Mesa MK-V with many pedals to a XL+ and now my mesa sits all alone in the corner, my mesa was my pride and joy but the Axe will just do everything and more that I will ever need. Even though its the most money ive paid on my guitar addiction it was worth every penny!

Wow factor? Look at it this way...It's an amp warehouse of dreams in a box! It's a time machine of amps in a box!.....It's running away from the Van Halen studio in 1978 with EVH amp under your arm in a box..Lol welcome mate and enjoy! Oh and it makes a decent cuppa tea too.

Back
Top Bottom