Ok, finally got around to trying to capture my cabinet...

dpeterson

Axe-Master
Results are way too thin sounding.. like it's coming out of one of those tiny marshall amps. I have everything hooked up correctly, and the test level sound fine etc...

Using an sm57 into a little mixer set flat. I'm trying to capture my boogie half back 4x12 (metal grille), power amp is an old ADA mosfet, and it sounds terribly thin.

Any tips on how to do this properly or should i use different mics, etc? already tried a bunch of different postions and all sound similar if not the same.

thanks,

Well first off the SM57 is not a very bass heavy mic. In my experience doing cab captures the results using that mic will have a lot less bottom end when compared to the factory cab IR's. However, it will "sit in a mix" just fine because guitars are often high-pass filtered in a mix anyway.

Try recording the mic'd up cab signal. Instead of sending the output of the mic pre back into the Axe-FX II send it into your computer or some other recording device.

Then, do the cab capture (without changing the mic position!) and try recording the sound of your guitar from output 1 with that cab sim turned on. It should sound pretty much the same.

i don't get this, what is acutally thin sounding!?

the next part of the sentence.... "like it's coming out of one of those tiny marshall amps."

thin would be no bottom end, very wimpy sounding, no ass, assless.

played with it some more, same stuff, going to borrow a few different mic's from a friend and see if there are better results.

thanks for the help so far.

I would definitely do what Adam suggested and record with the exact same signal chain as the IR capture.

Then use that to adjust mic position etc. until the recording sounds the way you want it. THEN capture the IR, without moving or adjusting anything.

Richard

i don't know the exact stup but basically you hear your box with your ears in a room from a certain position.
the IR is what the 57 "hears" close to the speaker in a completely different position so it HAS to sound thin, or at least different.

you can try to adjust parameters to make the two setups sound as similar as possible, then again there's no need for an own IR when you have to adjust that much IMHO.

you could also try to record the box and then, create an IR with ecactly the same mic position etc. and then use the TMA block to even out the difference.

cheers
S.

i guess when i compare it to other IR's, say redwires with a similar speaker, and a 57 in the exact same positions (distance, cap postion etc) it sounds way different. I know it wont sound exactly the same, but it should be in the ballpark. thats where the thin part was throwing me off, it was like comparing a v30 to the 1x6 oval.

will keep messing with it.

You need to listen with your ears to the same thing the Axe-FX II is listening to.

Mic it up and record yourself playing through that cabinet. Does it sound thin? If yes, then it's not the Axe-FX II's fault.

The recording would definitly help finding the problem ;)

Regarding comparison to other (redwirez) IRs:
similar speakers <-> same speaker model
same speaker model <-> same speaker

What I want to say is that there can be differences even between two V30s or between two SM57.
And there are many more factors you need to take into the equation that influence the sound coming out of your cab and into the mic (Speaker position in the cab, cab position in the room, the room itself, what the cab sits on). Some are more influential than others but all add to a different sound when micing let's say a V30 with a SM57.
So a comparison with other impulses is not ultimate meaningful.

And RW impulses might have been taken with another poweramp?

The recording would definitly help finding the problem ;)

At the very least, the IR will not sound any better than a good recording of the same signal chain.

Don't even worry about the IR capture until you can get a decent recording of the same pieces of kit.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom