Oil Can Echo Reverb?

Bodde

Fractal Fanatic
Just saw the video of the new Catalinbread Adineko pedal. Sounds very cool!
It a imitation of an Oil can echo. Can this be replicated by the Axe fx somehow?
Maybe with the tape delay combined with modulation? That pedal sounds very natural and warm like a real echo machine.

I have no doubt that it could be copied with a bit of tweaking. Off the top of my head I'd say filtered medium delay feeding a short slapback delay with highish feedback with some heavy pitch modulation dialed in combined with a filtered spring or plate reverb. Might take a few blocks and maybe the feedback loop blocks, but it's definitely doable.

After a bit of farting around, I got fairly close with the quad tape mode of the multi-delay block. It's basically a couple of short taps with no feedback followed by a couple of longer taps with feedback. The two pairs have slight offsets to give that slappy vibe. The pitch modulation rate is set to roughly match the longest delay time of tap 4. A fair bit of high end roll off and some reverb like diffusion mixed in and it's close enough for rock n' roll. I'm sure I could get closer with time, but I'm lazy.

Preset is Quantum 1.01 from my XL.

Attachments

• Oil Can Echo.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Oil Can Echo.blk
    454 bytes · Views: 23
ok, thanks for all the suggestions. Gonna try those presets. I have a hard time recreating the warmth of those old tape delay machines and also the oil can echos. That's not only with the Axe fx but also with the H9 and the Strymon stuff. It sounds good but I miss something. That extra dimension that those old machine have. Catalinbread seems to have captured it quite good here. I also own the Belle Epoch pedal which sounds also nice. I use this one in front of my Axe fx.

THe diffusion setting in the delay block could help too. unless someone said that already, i read the thread real fast.

Oh this would be awesome if someone can figure out a patch that sounds even close to that. Such a unique sound.

I see now that the topic had been moved. Not sure why? it isn't a preset exchange topic...

Here's the blocks https://www.dropbox.com/sh/acxjz4wuej5okj8/AACVm9SlkHABCMx49hJvUscRa?dl=0

Also, I'd turn the return level down farther to start, just in case. To get more repeats, turn the return level up. Don't touch the feedback in the delay block, it'll overload and squeal.
2zq6e5k.png

Ok, great! thanks for taking the time to post this. Will upgrade from FW19 to Quantum 2 this week and will have a look a your preset. Very curious!

Ok, great! thanks for taking the time to post this. Will upgrade from FW19 to Quantum 2 this week and will have a look a your preset. Very curious!
Let me know what you think. One thing I noticed. If you play with the wave form of the Pan Alpha in the Megatap block it can create different doppler type effects if you want to make it more out there.

Back
Top Bottom