OHM Studio

NJBengals85

Inspired
So a friend and I wanted to come up with an easier way to collaborate on music ideas on the fly because we both have kids and its not always so easy to get together and write/record. I did a little bit of research and through Steam came across this software called OHM Studio. It is really really cool stuff and works for MAC and PC. No I don't work for them, it actually shows you when people joined and I just joined yesterday (same user name). Basically, it is a cloud based DAW. You have the option to make tracks public or private (invite only). When working public...you can lay down a guitar line (for example) and request someone record bass/drums/guitar. In the private setting, it is all invite only. My friend an I joined a session and whatever mixing recording I do on guitar, he sees live at his house. He can then lay down a rhythm or vocal track and I see it too live and then I can add the plugins that he doesn't have. There is a chat setting where you can type together IM, or we just used an ipad for Skype if we don't feel like typing. I usually use to logic, so I did my tracks there and then import midi/audio tracks right into it but many people just use OHM to record. It is very neat stuff. I only have the free version but even that accepts all VST's I have (superior drummer, waves, Ozone). I believe the paid version allows for more cloud storage as well as additional custom plugins, but I haven't paid for it yet so I really cant comment on that. Just thought I would share in case some of you have been looking for software like this like I was. Also, I am just a average at best player, but if some serious axe users started writing/jamming together I would love to listen...haha.

When I got home from work yesterday someone was actually redoing my drumline and made it much better (im not great at drum lines). I jumped in and just sat back and was watching him/her drop in the drumline changes they created, mix and everything live. Then we were IM'ing back and forth talking about what he/she did. They have a feature that allows you to clone your track this way you always keep your original (in case someone does stuff you don't like you can revert back to the original clone). I also learned a little more about how the plugins work so I thought I would share. The other person put a 3rd party plugin on the bass guitar that I do not have (on my MAC) so even though it was there on my track...I had no access to tweak it (a little symbol was on the track and I couldn't open the plugin). On the master was Ozone 5 which didn't have that symbol because the other person also it so we both able make adjustments to that plugin. Basically, if you both have the 3rd party plug-in you can both tweak it. To me that could be huge because you should (in theory) be able to share 3rd party plug-in presets as long as you both have that plugin, like custom superior drummer kits, etc.

Thanks for sharing this! I'm super interested in this. I will be checking this out tonight. Very cool stuff. Side note - Is there any way to jam live with somebody else in such a way too? My brother is the other guitarist in my band and lives about 35-40 minutes away. Could be cool to practice via internet...

Thanks for sharing this! I'm super interested in this. I will be checking this out tonight. Very cool stuff. Side note - Is there any way to jam live with somebody else in such a way too? My brother is the other guitarist in my band and lives about 35-40 minutes away. Could be cool to practice via internet...

There is too much latency on the net to live jam. But it can be fairly quick turn around. One guy plays something. 2nd guy adds his parts a few minutes later... first guy hears the new track... embellishes something. So a back and forth things can happen, just not in real time.

Exactly...its not so much for live use...its a cloud based DAW. You could track out a guitar line, make it public, a singer, bassist, drummer in different countries can listen, jump in, and lay down tracks to it. Or another use is for private sessions, my drummer thinks up a cool drum line, sends me, my bassist and my singer, an invite to the track and together we can join the room, chat, and record to it. From there, we can invite an engineer who can jump in, mix it, add whatever 3rd party plugins they may have even if you don't have them which is awesome and you could sit in the "room" and virtually watch him work, or even set up a skype and really watch him work on it. It is very very cool stuff.

Back
Top Bottom