Oh, my... The Goop!

Anal Retentiveness doesn’t always translate into greatness. Yeah, I guess David Lindley, Sonny Landreth, Lowell George, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Steve Kimock, Ry Cooper, Clapton, SRV, Eric Johnson, Santana, Joe Bonamassa and so on were all tone deaf hacks.

The real point that seems to get lost on younger generations is the concept of guys like H.A. Dumble were the “Giants whose shoulders those that come after sit on” and then take the technology available and expand on it. Before Michael Jordan no one thought it possible to dunk from the free throw line. Before him there were guys like Dr. J and Wilt Chamberlain, etc.. and so on.

Last edited:
Anal Retentiveness doesn’t always translate into greatness. Yeah, I guess David Lindley, Sonny Landreth, Lowell George, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, Steve Kimock, Ry Cooper, Clapton, SRV, Eric Johnson, Santana, Joe Bonamassa and so on were all tone deaf hacks.
That's quite a jump. Nobody said anything negative.

"Anal Retentiveness" can be translated in Bartel's case into "military spec".

Dumble was also known to be quite "focused", and had a very unique theory about crystalline lattices.

Last edited:

Dumble was also known to be quite "focused", and had a very unique theory about crystalline lattices.
Get real. I wasn’t referring to anybody in the forum. I was exactly pertaining to Dumble being a genius and that there is no reason to “shudder” at anything. I’m pretty sure you didn’t get my point.

…and “mil-spec” could be translated into “anal retentiveness” for a guitar amplifier…🙄 But just to be clear and as someone who spent a good bit of time with electronics I think the Bartel amp is almost a work of art, but there are different technical reasons like using turrets that makes such precise looking work easier.

Last edited:

It’s called hyperbole and is a higher level of communication that I suppose gets lost in forums. Although it seems some can use it here and get away with it while others can’t…..

Happy New Year.

Maybe I’m just too use to people on the internet looking for any reason to downplay and dump on Dumble amps because they confuse the price that people (who had nothing to do with Dumble) have paid for his amps and what they are most likely worth. It’s illogical and I have come to despise illogical behavior. Maybe when someone used the word “shudder” it wasn’t meant to be negative, but there’s enough of the negative tone floating in this thread to warrant my attitude. Which really wasn’t much of an attitude at all. That’s all and nothing more.

I’m not sure whether “shudder” is good or bad, but take a look at the photos of the insides of a Bartel Amplifier for an example of incredible design and production work…

Nothing like clean work! Some people can really execute, I can only imagine the steps that went in to laying this out, some of the layers are just incredible! It's almost a crime that it has to be covered up.

Nothing like clean work! Some people can really execute, I can only imagine the steps that went in to laying this out, some of the layers are just incredible! It's almost a crime that it has to be covered up.
Check out his site, lots of detail on design and construction philosophy and methods. Lust-inspiring, really.

Out of stock at every US dealer, and too expensive for me anyway, but if one day I wake up thinking I don't want to do modelers any more, they'd be on my gotta check it out list for sure.

Check out his site, lots of detail on design and construction philosophy and methods. Lust-inspiring, really.

Out of stock at every US dealer, and too expensive for me anyway, but if one day I wake up thinking I don't want to do modelers any more, they'd be on my gotta check it out list for sure.
Oh yeah I've been there! Out of my budget as well but some really nice work for sure!

The whole idea of the cab resonating like an instrument body is pretty intriguing to me. Would have to be carefully controlled, but it really seems like he's got a handle on it. I'd love to play one.
As would I.

I talked to Bartel a while back and asked about the usable volume for jams, which model would fit in with the average Deluxe Reverb, and he said he hadn’t done a comparison side by side but he thought that the little unit would keep up nicely. I was a little surprised, but because it uses the entire cabinet, not just the speaker, I think it would be louder than the equivalent powered amp.

I want the middle amp because it has the reverb. I’d like to have the tremolo too because my Imperial Mk II has it and I use it occasionally, but I also don’t want too much power. I want to make the power amp work too. The Imperial at a jam is at the perfect power point so I goes from nice and clean to a beautiful sounding distortion all on the lead channel.

Selling my Lonestar Special and Imperial amps would put me into the price range of his middle amp, but sentimentality and not being able to play the Bartel first makes me hesitant.

As would I.

I talked to Bartel a while back and asked about the usable volume for jams, which model would fit in with the average Deluxe Reverb, and he said he hadn’t done a comparison side by side but he thought that the little unit would keep up nicely. I was a little surprised, but because it uses the entire cabinet, not just the speaker, I think it would be louder than the equivalent powered amp.

I want the middle amp because it has the reverb. I’d like to have the tremolo too because my Imperial Mk II has it and I use it occasionally, but I also don’t want too much power. I want to make the power amp work too. The Imperial at a jam is at the perfect power point so I goes from nice and clean to a beautiful sounding distortion all on the lead channel.

Selling my Lonestar Special and Imperial amps would put me into the price range of his middle amp, but sentimentality and not being able to play the Bartel first makes me hesitant.
Does he sell direct too, or do you have to wait for dealer stock?

Well, y'know, people will pay $600K for a '59 Burst, and supposedly at least one original '58 Explorer sold for substantially over $1M USD, and as far as I am concerned the centre of tone is not the guitar, it's the amp (anyone who doubts this should try plugging a semi decent Squier Strat into a Lonestar Special, then an original 55 Strat into a $99 solid state practice amp with a 6" speaker - you'll get it pretty quickly)(yes, I've done this btw) ..... so maybe that kind of money for an amp that's actually substantially rarer than an original Burst isn't so bad.....

Random question: what's with the number?
qhkuz0rjmjnslpnkrygx.jpg

02? 01? 0201?

Back
Top Bottom