Offset Tuning For A Single Preset

PSea

Experienced
Is it possible to have an offset tuning apply to only 1 preset? Ie, if we do a van halen tune, I'd love to use his tuning modifications.

What do you mean by offset tuning? Eb standard? Yes, this can be done by setting the pitch block in that preset for -1 semitone. Drop-Db? No, you can't detune a single string. Can also be done per scene.

offset tuning adjusts the tuner by cents. so evh tuned to Eb but some of his strings were off by a few cents. but w offset tuning the tuner still displays as it normally would.

You can turn the tuning offsets feature on and off. And you could put that switch on one of the global performance page slots for easier access. But I can't think of any way to link it's on/off state to a specific preset without using a midi to send the correct 'sysex' message.

You can use the dual detune feature in the pitch block and have it only in whichever scenes/presets you want. Is that similar to what you're after?

You can turn the tuning offsets feature on and off. And you could put that switch on one of the global performance page slots for easier access. But I can't think of any way to link it's on/off state to a specific preset without using a midi to send the correct 'sysex' message.
thanks moke! i actually considered that as i was digging into the performance pages this morning. but the more i play w this offset tuning, the more im convinced i might just keep it on for all presets.

would be kind of cool if it could be done on a per preset basis though.

We are talking about the tuner right? So you are wanting to manually tune the guitar to the offsets (or swap to a different guitar) and you want the tuner to show "in tune" whether you're tuned to the offsets or not. Is that correct? Interesting.

If so, and if you can do it via midi as Moke mentioned, you could setup a midi loop back on the FM9 by connecting its midi out to its midi in.

Side note: EVH apparently used those tunings because of how he hit the strings; he used it basically all the time I think. So it would make sense that if they work well for you they could work well all the time.

midi is an entirely new universe for me, so no go atm. loved using the offsets...until i got together w our other guitar. became a bit of a shitshow. so had to disable it.

yes, was talking about the tuner but in thinking more about it, i suppose what i was reallly after was the ability to have a single preset modify the output of a few strings equal to the offsets evh used so when i exited the preset the guitar would go back to the strings normally (A=440) tuned sounds.

sorry for the rabbit hole.

midi is an entirely new universe for me, so no go atm. loved using the offsets...until i got together w our other guitar. became a bit of a shitshow. so had to disable it.

Yeah you'd probably want all guitars using it. EVH didn't have to worry about that. Although again, as I understand it, his tech came up with those offsets because Eddie hit the strings so hard that the initial attack went a touch out of sharp and by the time the note would've settled back to normal he'd be on to the next note anyway.

yes, was talking about the tuner but in thinking more about it, i suppose what i was reallly after was the ability to have a single preset modify the output of a few strings equal to the offsets evh used so when i exited the preset the guitar would go back to the strings normally (A=440) tuned sounds.

sorry for the rabbit hole.
Ahhh. Yeah that would take actual string by string micro pitch correction and I don't think the Fractal stuff can do that (or any other modeler). I think you'd need something like a Variax guitar or one of those Roland synth pickup thingamabobs.

Maybe don’t do it in the modeler, use a Peterson Strobo-clip tuner that lets you switch to a custom sweetened tuning and back?
Concur. Without using global settings tuner offsets, a Peterson Strobo-(Stomp/Clip) is the only way you could solve this problem. Granted, you'd need to select the EVH preset and program your Strobo so that you could switch between standard tuning and EVH quickly.

What I personally do is to utilize a FM9 James Taylor sweetened tuning for all of my guitars, and for things like DADGAD or dropped tunings, I select my Strobo-Mini with preset tunings. You may find that this will work for altered tuning, but not provide a sweetened tuning ala JT.

In this case, unless your DADGAD or dropped tunings are also sweetened, you sacrifice the "sweetened" part for the functionality of the alternate tuning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom