Off to a decent start w/the AX8

JerEvil

Inspired
390314C9-6B55-4B37-81CD-091B844921B1_zpsxnnd4iyk.jpg
390314C9-6B55-4B37-81CD-091B844921B1_zpsxnnd4iyk.jpg

So my AX8 came in yesterday evening. Didn't dig into it until about 12:45am today. It is now 7:25am and I'm going to bed!!!

First thoughts... this thing is pretty damn bitchin'! I sold my Kemper last week and ordered this guy straight away.

So far I have:
• Got it set up and integrated into my recording chain

• Got my Volume pedal set up in "Settings"

• Leaned where to place the Volume block to actually make it work (thanks @Mark Day fornthe vid)

• converted all my impulses to .syx (took FOREVER!!!)

• Made 2 patches with 4 to 5 scenes each for tonight's church service

• Found humor in the fact that my worship patches are based around the Dirty Shirley and Brown Eye

I still have a ton to learn but damn if you really can't get in quick and feel satisfied. I think this'll be a keeper.

Nice setup man!
My worship patches are based off the Brown Eye also! Ha ha. :)
The more you use it and learn about it, yes it is a keeper!!

Hey man, the best thing about the fractal stuff is the editor. Thats my one gripe with the kemper, which i still can't believe you sold! I wish kemper had an editor that made everything so effortless, maybe be the reason why i switch and get a brother for the fx8

Hey man, the best thing about the fractal stuff is the editor. Thats my one gripe with the kemper, which i still can't believe you sold! I wish kemper had an editor that made everything so effortless, maybe be the reason why i switch and get a brother for the fx8
Yeah I already have sellers remorse! But between the Kemper, Remote, Power Amp and expression pedals all in one case was about 100lbs of gear. This has totally streamlined my Live rig and I am really happy with the results. Had my first gig (church) and it was awesome. Really liked the AX8 as did the band.

I'll have another Kemper before too long though.

Great looking setup!
What stand are you using for the AX8? Also, what monitor stands?
Thank you!
Thanks! Here's the stand for the AX8

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...SOQmRP4kl9MlznBH1kGQse4FaG0dPyu17EaApoS8P8HAQ

And the stands are

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MonitorStd

And most importantly... why does the Darth Vader Helmet box have a picture of Kylo Ren??? :rolleyes::laughing:
Good question! Heck if I know.

And what about that cool chair? Where did you get it?
Can you play guitar sitting on it with the arm rest in place?

Nice! I had the first go at creating my own presets today.

Sooooo impressed. My first job with any modeller has always been to try to do a "Where the Streets Have No Name" patch. This is the first unit that had it sounding pretty much spot on, just by putting the necessary components in place and with minimal tweaking. Its so refreshing just to have something that sounds good just out of the blocks rather than thinking "ok, where do I start to make this sound good". With this it seems like your starting point is good and you head towards awesome, as opposed to starting at bad to ok, and struggling to get to good.

One question for your setup, are you running your dunlop to operate the volume function in the Ax8 or do you have it out in front of the input? I have a modded EBVPJR with a buffer in it, and plan to run it in front of the unit with my wah and then into the input.

I'll have another Kemper before too long though.

Let me know when you are ready....mine will be available. Tried profiling my Fuchs FH50 and using the same 65 Speaker IR that I have on my AX8 and 2 Notes (which I have the amp running through to set up my preset). I can't get the amps "gut punch" in my Kemper...very very close but there is an element that I can't dial in on the profiles. I get the sound using the Fuchs ODS on the AX8. I think I've convinced myself after 4+ years to go ahead and make the change final. I've been using the AX8 primarily from about August..or so on and based on my results I believe I'm going to let my Kemper find a new user.

Last edited:
Let me know when you are ready....mine will be available. Tried profiling my Fuchs FH50 and using the same 65 Speaker IR that I have on my AX8 and 2 Notes (which I have the amp running through to set up my preset). I can't get the amps "gut punch" in my Kemper...very very close but there is an element that I can't dial in on the profiles. I get the sound using the Fuchs ODS on the AX8. I think I convinced myself after 4+ years to go ahead a make the change final. I've been using the AX8 primarily from about August..or so.. and based on my results I believe I'm going to let my Kemper find a new user.
Yeah will do. That's what I noticed as well. Some of that punch just isn't there. Here's the funny thing with me. I will admit, I think so far the Kemper amp sounds might be a bit more "amplike" BUT... I prefer the sound of a lot more AxeII/AX8 clips I've heard. Now keep in mind I've only had my AX8 for 3 days so far so I need more time with it. I MAY forgo the Kemper for an AxeII XL...
Great to have you over here JerEvil :)
Glad to be here. I'll be getting some clips posted asap

Same here! Haven't touched either of my Kempers since I received my AX8 except to put them away. One is going up for sale soon..

Update: one Kemper sold... I can buy a backup AX8 with what I got for it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom