"Of all my IRs, which sounds the most like this Tone Match?"

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody,

I'm a cover band guy ('80s metal), and I'm looking to cop the rigs from the albums as nearly as possible (using information from the 'net).
Because I know that a lot of the album sound is "studio magic" best left to my FOH engineer, I'm looking for something a little more "guitarist-y": the sound that really came out of the real rig in the studio.
IRs are a sticking point. For example, I have, like, a couple dozen "1960A with Vintage 30s" IRs.

In the past, I've:
  1. Set up the rig (with a Looper block in front to play the riffs);
  2. Done a Tone Match to the album after the AMP block;
  3. Set up a CAB block on a different row from the Tone Match; and
  4. Used a Mixer block with an LFO to alternate between the Tone Match and the CAB, effectively auto-A/B-ing them while I scroll through my list of IRs.

Has anybody run into a better way to take a Tone Match, and get the IR that most closely resembles it? I'd love to know. I almost wonder if Cab-Lab (or similar) could have some kind of analysis function that would rate the similarity between the Tone Match and the IRs.

Thanks,
Eric

Hey Eric
I'm not really sure if I understand Your desire (my english is not so sophisticated and I'm drunk right now) but do You wish to copy guitar sound of the bands You cover?
Regards.
Paul.

Hi Paul--it's OK, LOL!
Maybe a simpler thing to ask is: "How can I find the best IR (rather than a Tone Match) to copy an album's guitar tone?"

Hi Paul--it's OK, LOL!
Maybe a simpler thing to ask is: "How can I find the best IR (rather than a Tone Match) to copy an album's guitar tone?"

Hello,
I don't know how You can FIND best IR to copy recorded guitar sound but I know how You can CREATE it :).
I had same issue. Search for this clip on YT: " Making guitar impulses with Voxengo Deconvolver". First on search result list, 6:16 sec.
I made like dozen IRs this way with a tones of my fav bands (In flames, Entombed, Slayer, Bolt Thrower). I hope that's what You are looking for :).
Regards,
Paul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom