Octaver for bass

marc0810

Inspired
Hi all, I am trying to get a more accurate (best word I can think of) octaver sound when I am playing bass, I am not having issues with tracking, it’s more that the octaves don’t sound clear for lack of a better term. A good example of what I am looking to emulate is Guy Pratt’s bass tones on any of the live Pink Floyd recordings. Any advice is welcome and appreciated including unconventional solutions.

I've run into the same issues here, the tracking is actually decent as you say, but not in all parts of the fretboard sadly, it's more like a detuned warbling sound for certain notes. Almost like a seasick chorus tone. I've rewritten parts to get them to sound better. I have the most trouble with the very low and very high notes.. so basically the E and G strings on a typical 4 string. One tip that's rather obvious but, strings that are slightly out of tune make the impact of the warble significantly worse.

Accuracy here is difficult, I'd say it matches most pedals I've tried, but I've played a few stompboxes that definitely sound better on the bass. I would imagine the one in the AF3 was built with guitar in mind specifically.

Did you also try the different ring modulator types with pitch tracking on? pitch ratio 0.5 (not at my FM3, don‘t remember the correct naming) and set Lo Pass Frequency and Mix to Taste. For me a good monophonic alternative to the pitch block!

I run it in front of the Fractal.

My chain is:
Bass -> Nano Rams Head Big Muff -> Nano Pog -> Cry Baby 535 (non Q) -> Black Finger Tube Compressor-> Axe-FX III

Did you also try the different ring modulator types with pitch tracking on? pitch ratio 0.5 (not at my FM3, don‘t remember the correct naming) and set Lo Pass Frequency and Mix to Taste. For me a good monophonic alternative to the pitch block!

neat idea, I'll give that a shot

Back
Top Bottom