Obsessing over FRFR

Gasp100

Power User
I'm torn, I've heard some really great things about the FBT Verve series stuff and I would love to give one of them a try. I'm starting to think a wedge configuration for my purposes makes total sense too. I play at home, seated most of the time, and the trajectory of a wedge would probably be a great angle for me to get the most out of my monitoring (better than a cab shooting straight). I've also decided that until I start gigging again, my main focus will be using the AxeFX for direct recording/studio monitors with the Red Wirez IR's. The AxeFX will be racked in my studio desk as opposed to being racked outside in another rack to facilitate the wiring/power/front panel access, etc... So no matter which FRFR I choose, the AxeFX would not be placed direct only top of the FRFR monitor like a tradtional head/cab solution.
But, now some are suggesting even the FBT stuff (while good) is not on the level (or at the level) of what is required to get the best of FRFR. Also, the Fractal FR solution may be right around the corner...
Then I hit up youtube for some examples for quick comparison and the best one I find it a guy using a tube power amp into 1x12's loaded with EV's lol!!!
Maybe I'm taking things too seriously! Check this guy out, love the Holdsworth stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAJfONBq89U&feature=related

megalowmatt said:
You're thinking too hard. It's just not that complicated to get a good sound out of the thing.

Oh, I've already gotten some great results out of the thing so I'm not worried about that; I guess sometimes we get so wrapped up in the research, hype, etc... of gear we search for the "silver bullet" as was mentioned in another post instead of using and working with the great tones in the gear in front of us.
Anyway, I pulled the trigger on a used Verve 12ma which should be here this week. I think the AxeFX (with presets I saved from my last go round) + new knowledge on what to tweak + the new Red Wirez IR's through the Verve 12ma will be AWESOME!!!

One of the Axe-fx strengths is its flexibility; you can make it sound good through just about anything.
For studio use, it's FRFR all the way; I'm torn on which way to go for live use; there seems to be 2
camps on this forum, I don't know if I can forgo the amp/cab configuration.

The Red Wirez IRs are really great!

Back
Top Bottom