Null Amp block?

Tom Morris

Power User
I use two buttons on my FC-6 to INC/DEC amp volume for live control. Was wondering if there is an amp model or a way to make and amp block null transparent so I can use it to just control volume via Amp block INC/DEC. I know turning power amp sag to zero effectively turns off the power amp section. There are so many settings in the amp block I have no idea how you would dial in an amp that wouldn't affect the sound of the input signal. Maybe start with a JC120?

Guess maybe I should make this a WISH post.

Why not use an EQ set flat, or control the final out block directly, depending on whether you want trails to be controlled too?

make an amp block null transparent
[...]
I have no idea how you would dial in an amp that wouldn't affect the sound of the input signal.

AMPs are about changing tone, so if you don't want an AMP tone why use one? A NULL FIL block or a VOL block are typically used to change level. Or OUT block.

The point was you can assign two buttons on the FC6 and 12 or a midi pedal to raise and lower volume of the amp block mixer as a way of controlling and saving volume change with one tap. With AFXIII we were given Amp mixer volume INC/DEC as opposed to scene volume INC/DEC we had in AFXII and prior. AMP block mixer volume INC/DEC is super handy playing live as you can do it with your foot and its a saved stored adjustment. And it works independently between two amp blocks as well as the four block channels. Whatever amp or channel that's active at the time gets changed.

I use a piezo pickup that I don't need an amp to alter its tone I just use a filter block, multi band compressor, EQ and whatever FX are needed. However I cant change volume in the way described above which is ideal. All that said it would be nice to have a flat amp model that could still be controlled in this way. Or if you wanted to go a step further an amp model of say a Fisherman loudbox.

Use the Tube Pre amp model. I believe it's pretty flat, and been stated to be if you search. I've used that with acoustics many times on stage with good results. HTH.

Here's a way to use inc/dec without sending guitar through amp block:

Synth block as tone generator -- amp block -- gate/exp block

Branch to piezo path before synth, merging back into gate/exp block. Set gate/exp sidechain to synth/amp row, ratio 2:1.

The gate threshold should be high enough to start with as much attenuation as you might need to remove. If you think the piezo sound could need a 5-6 dB increase later, you might want to set threshold so the gate gain meter is around -10 dB. If you had previously dialed a pretty good piezo level, you can counter the gain reduction introduced in this step by increasing level in the gate block or last piezo row block (anything after compression really) by the same value.

Whoa that made my head hurt. And then how would I assign two buttons on the FC to make the inc/dec changes? Sounds like a ton more work than the Tube Pre block for adjusting volume on the fly. I played around with that block tonight and was able to get it sounding pretty close to what I was doing without an amp block. I have one preset with the piezo that is pushing 80% CPU now, if I add all those other blocks it's just going to implode. 🔥🔥🔥 Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Back
Top Bottom