NTTGGPD

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
New To This Guitar Guitar Pickup Day, er...., Night.
20240130_031648.jpg

So the Fralin pair back to back sounded good, but a problem existed with that arrangement: they weren't mounted solidly to the same base plate. At high gain, the two were able to vibrate separately from each other just enough to make a microphone out of the entire pickguard, more so closer to the pickups, and the low-mid yowl that it imparted to the tone when in series humbucker mode was good until it was too loud/gainy and started to hoot....

So, I looked at the Fralin site to see what humbuckers he had going on, and even sent a question in about their Wide Range one, but had the itch to see what the 245 bridge pickup would do in there. It is nearly 9k, so a little spicy, but not mushy overwound. In a guitar that doesn't have the super strong fundamentals like the 245, it works rather nicely. I have time to think about if I want to replace it or not. Rewired the 3 position toggle like the ones in my red Tele and green PRS triple P90 - sets position 3 on the lever up for middle, neck+bridge, or neck+bridge 1/2 out of phase. There's probably still some tuning to do with the little Phillips head to dial in the tones, but it's nice. The S1 now series/parallel switches the bridge pickup. Nice sounds so far. Will report back after a while and some louder playing....

Spare parts drawer FTW, it seems....

I've always hated the S1 switch but it sounds like you've found a usable solution for it. Interesting looking pickups.

Sadly it is the only push/push option that isn't cheap crap, and you can only get a VOLUME knob for it on the Strat. The Tele knobs aren't labeled, so bonus if you can use those.

The neck and middle pickups are Fralin Split Blade hum cancelling single coil pickups. Fantastic quality and sound....

Back
Top Bottom