NPGD

Last night I had a thought...

These pickups came out of a DK-24. That means they were direct mounted to the body. Which means... I don't think I can use them with this guitar as the pickup tabs will have been drilled out :(

I will confirm when I get a few minutes.
Well, it appears all threads are still intact! :)

And better yet (crisis #2 averted!) the humbucker has 3 holes in each tab, which is needed since Kiesel used 2 on the bass side of the pickup.

If I'm bored this weekend I know what I'm doing!

Ok... I started in on this today.

Got the pickguard removed and started to remove the pickups for the swap.

Problem #1: someone (probably my son) has absconded with my soldering iron and solder... He works nights so is currently asleep.

Removed the 2 single coils (had to snip the wires for now) and was about to remove the humbucker when I thought I should make sure the existing screws would fit.

Problem #2: They don't... The threads on the Seymour Duncan are way smaller.

I found some old screws (black, not chrome like the others) and then realized that only the middle hole on each tab is tapped. The others are punched but have no threads.

Problem #3(ish): I noticed the neck and bridge pickups show string spacing. The neck is 49.27mm:

IMG_6096.jpeg

Compared to the SSL-6 by eyeball and I think both E string pole pieces will be a bit "outside" the string.

Problem #4: I noticed an odd round piece of something on the table only to discover this:

IMG_6088.jpeg

Since I had everything apart already, I wanted to check the pot values to resolve a question I raised in another thread.

The Tone pot is A500k but the Volume pot is a (linear taper) B500k.

Is this Problem #5?

Sigh... :(

Solution to problem #1: wait for my son to wake up.

Solution options to problem #2?
  • Try to tap the pickup tabs?
  • Buy another pickup?
  • Try to drill another hole on the pickguard between the existing 2?
Is problem #3 actually a problem? Do I need to find some other pickups with a more narrow spacing or using a blade?

Solution to problem #4? I'm assuming I can use some super glue but I'm not sure and also surprised that it just fell out.

I'm also not sure if problem #5 is a problem or not... But my hopes of getting an email response from Kiesel are not high given they haven't responded to my initial query from over a week ago yet.

What I thought would be a couple hour project has turned into a larger and longer adventure...

Thoughts and advice welcome!

#1: I can't help you much with, but I've found a couple of 4x12s and about 100 watts usually does the trick... ;) (Nah, I'm not really that mean and have worked my share of nights, too.)

#2: I might consider seeing if you could find a replacement pickguard. There are several companies that will make copies of just about anything if you send them the original. If you can live with a couple of holes, you could try drilling another between the existing 2. Tapping the tabs might be an option, but although unlikely, could damage the coils if not done carefully, especially where the coils is attached to the leads.

#3: If the strings were a lot outside the poles, could be more of an issue, but being a little inside the poles shouldn't be that noticeable since the coil is still underneath and there's a magnet on either side. Actually, either way, it doesn't sound like it'd be too different from where the strings end up when bending a note sometimes. Any minor difference in volume could be compensated for with a pickup height adjustment.

#4: I wouldn't think a dab of super glue would hurt anything. Yeah, a little surprising it just fell off, but I've had that happen on Gibson reflector knobs, too. Probably just a minor glitch in an automated manufacturing process that didn't immediately become apparent to QC.

#5: And yeah, I'd go with an audio taper, too (from your other thread).

PURPLE GUITARS RULE!! :cool:

Ok... I started in on this today.

Got the pickguard removed and started to remove the pickups for the swap.

Problem #1: someone (probably my son) has absconded with my soldering iron and solder... He works nights so is currently asleep.

Get it when he wakes up.

Problem #2: They don't... The threads on the Seymour Duncan are way smaller.

Ace Hardware with a good screws assortment. They probably also have thread taps....

Problem #3(ish): I noticed the neck and bridge pickups show string spacing. The neck is 49.27mm:

As long as the strings are sorta over the poles, they ought to be ok.

Problem #4: I noticed an odd round piece of something on the table only to discover this:

Nail glue from Ulta or similar girly makeup store. Do try not to glue your fingers together....

download%20%2868%29.jpeg

Or, Rutters knobs. Same guy who makes the bridges for Telecasters and such. I LOVE his Nocaster knobs.

Since I had everything apart already, I wanted to check the pot values to resolve a question I raised in another thread.

The Tone pot is A500k but the Volume pot is a (linear taper) B500k.

Is this Problem #5?

Possibly. Possibly not. Do you like the sweep of the volume pot?

Sigh... :(

Solution to problem #1: wait for my son to wake up.

Solution options to problem #2?
  • Try to tap the pickup tabs?
  • Buy another pickup?
  • Try to drill another hole on the pickguard between the existing 2?
Is problem #3 actually a problem? Do I need to find some other pickups with a more narrow spacing or using a blade?

Solution to problem #4? I'm assuming I can use some super glue but I'm not sure and also surprised that it just fell out.

I'm also not sure if problem #5 is a problem or not... But my hopes of getting an email response from Kiesel are not high given they haven't responded to my initial query from over a week ago yet.

What I thought would be a couple hour project has turned into a larger and longer adventure...

Thoughts and advice welcome!

Last edited:
Well... My new pot arrived yesterday... And somehow I ordered linear pots :(

So now I wait again.

I also have a Suhr style treble bleed and an Anderson H3 pickup on the way.

Anderson says they can't provide an option for 2 screws on 1 tab, so I found a good deal on eBay and pulled the trigger (I've decided to drill another hole in the pickguard).

Last edited:
Ok, all wired up with new pickups, new volume pot and new treble bleed.

Everything is working correctly on the first attempt! Amazing accomplishment for me and guitar wiring :)

I drilled the new hole in the pickguard just a smidge off center. I don't think it will affect anything but it's going to bug me just knowing it's slightly crooked.

Tested only in headphones so far. It still seems a bit bright but a small tone knob adjustment seems to handle it. I'll test at volume later.
5660C1F5-A414-4EEA-BF02-AE02720D5B9B.jpeg

Ok, all wired up with new pickups, new volume pot and new treble bleed.

Everything is working correctly on the first attempt! Amazing accomplishment for me and guitar wiring :)

Nice!

I drilled the new hole in the pickguard just a smidge off center. I don't think it will affect anything but it's going to bug me just knowing it's slightly crooked.

Can't see it from the 4th row.... ;)

Back
Top Bottom