Now that the feature has been out for a while, what do you use your Performance pages for?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
When the feature first released, I was putting drive parameters, delay mix, reverb mix, and all sorts of different parameters on the Performance pages just to fill them up and have the parameters available "just in case."

These days, though, I find the only thing I really ever need to adjust during a gig/rehearsal is just some fine-tuning to scene and preset volumes, so that's all that's on my Performance pages (just global).

What do other people use this feature for? DO you even use it? Just seeing if someone's got some creative or practical ideas or maybe something I hadn't thought of. Cheers!

I hadn’t thought of doing scene levels — I’m going to add that.

I don’t use it as much as I thought I might. I have amp drive, basic tone controls in there. I plan my sounds a lot before rehearsal so that’s probably why.

I'm just using my FM3 for amp, delay, and reverb, so I have the top row as the levels for the delays, reverbs, and the amp level. I used the bottom row for the feedback/effect time of the delays and reverbs, as well as the amp drive. That way I can adjust the reverb/delay to the venu, and adjust the drive as needed, because I generally play a little harder when in a band vs practicing at home.

Have not used it... finally able to edit from the top panel on the fly. The AX8 was a PIA to edit without a laptop.
Yeah, I normally would just go into it and edit the Output block, but I figured since that's the only thing I do with it, I might as well have it always available :)

The UI is not nearly as difficult to work with as some around the web would make it out to be lol

My Global Performance page looks something like this on the two rows:
-Drive -Bass -Mid -Treble -Master Volume
-Tempo -Click Level -Pitch Shift -Amp Level

I'll make minor adjustments to my presets when switching guitars, a little less gain, a little more treble, etc(I don't save these tweaks). AFAIK, putting the metronome level on a Performance screen is the only way to turn the click on/off using Axe-Fx III hardware, which is somewhat a drag considering you could assign an IA switch to do this on the Axe-Fx II.

Aside from having Amp 1 Controls set up on the global page, which is a standard practice --

In "pro world" where I help build a lot of rigs, these are often used for the features that artists are always asking techs to tweak during sound check:

Delay Time (ms).
Delay Mix.
Cab High Cut and Low Cut
"Manual" knobs set to modify multiple parameters at once.
Envelope controller or ADSR threshold.
In 1 Noise Gate threshold
Drive Pedal Drive, Tone, and Level
Pitch Key

...and so on.

Aside from having Amp 1 Controls set up on the global page, which is a standard practice --

In "pro world" where I help build a lot of rigs, these are often used for the features that artists are always asking techs to tweak during sound check:

Delay Time (ms).
Delay Mix.
Cab High Cut and Low Cut
Pitch Key

...and so on.
I use a very similar layout, for the exception of the noise gate and envelope parameters. I never even considered them, but will definitely be adding those!

Delay Time (ms).
Delay Mix.
Cab High Cut and Low Cut
Pitch Key

...and so on.
Thanks for the info. Question on best practices... I typically have different amps, different delays in each preset and one preset per song. Most of the amps are voiced similar (USA JP Red, Friedman HBE, Friedman BE, etc) Now thinking I should simplify it with one or two amps and one or two delays. Would you recommend to use the one amp\delay style setup for gigging?

Initially amp parameters (BMT, Presence, Input Drive/Trim), cab Hi/Lo, Delay and/or Modulation Mix. But pre-5.0b just ended up doing Right Page and D (Amp) or E (Cab), and manually editing the individual effects (completely bypassing them)

I still have a parametric EQ on the global one.

Per-preset is usually things like delay and reverb level, some effect depth, cab low-cut frequency, amp dynamics compression.

Per Preset : Amp/Cab - Drive, Bass, Mid, Treble, High-Treble, Presence, Master Volume, Bright Cap, Cab High Cut, Cab Low Cut.

Global: Delay 1 Input Gain, Delay 2 Input Gain, and 8 Scene Levels

I rarely need to touch them in any case as FOH takes care of what is needed for the house, and the IEM's have dedicated EQ/Dynamics per channel, so the IEM mix feed typically stays constant.

That said, they're there if needed...

Last edited:
I'm always using the same effects with the same settings in a song, and I spend a lot of time tweaking them before a rehearsal/gig. So the Scenes mode wich allows me to have the scenes in each preset on the FC helps a lot. I guess that you use performance mode if you mainly stay in a preset but alter all possible effects and amp settings during a song flexibly.

Didn’t even know FM3 could generate a click track….and the axe8 before which I loved as well.

crazy cool
Do you mean the metronome?

I'm always using the same effects with the same settings in a song, and I spend a lot of time tweaking them before a rehearsal/gig. So the Scenes mode wich allows me to have the scenes in each preset on the FC helps a lot. I guess that you use performance mode if you mainly stay in a preset but alter all possible effects and amp settings during a song flexibly.
I'm not sure what you mean, actually. I was talking about Performance pages; click right once for PP Performance page and click right again for the Global Performance page. I don't think there's actually a "performance mode" or "scenes mode," unless I've completely missed the boat on all that :) But no, I also do most of my tweaking prior to playing with the band, but sometimes I do need to adjust the scene volume if for some reason I go to a scene or preset and it's just too overpowering or quiet. For giggles I put things like amp gain/volume and drive gain/volume on the bottom row, but I can't really think of anything else I would need on the fly. I have a hard enough time remembering to change to the performance pages in the first place.

Another cool feature I noticed in the performance pages is the quick buttons to the amp & cab; this could come in handy, for sure.

I'd love be able to the Cab name(s) and Impedance Curve, but that's not possible atm.

Schermafbeelding 2022-01-11 om 13.09.59.jpg

Back
Top Bottom