Now that I have hundreds of amps at my fingertips...I need to learn how to use them better. What are good learning references?

Androo

Inspired
I'm looking to learn more about getting good amp sounds for wide-ranging styles for both guitar and bass. As I "drink from the fire-hose" that is the FM9 I am realizing that I really don't know a lot about the amps that are in there; particularly the deeper or ideosynchratic settings and knobs I don't understand enough or at all. I can do alright after a while but I feel like some higher instruction would make the process faster with better results. I do understand a fair amount of the electronics and signal processing but would like to know better how to make them to do my bidding (insert maniacal laughter).

Where do you recommend I look to learn more?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Best,
A

Thank you both. I've been working my way through those video channels and have spent some time in the amp guide but I was thinking less specifically about the FM9 itself and more generally about "amp technology." To use the Carol-Ann Tucana Clean as an example, there are 9 pages of settings once you go below the simple "Tone" menu. I want to learn more about why I might need to tweak the "Tube Hardness" or "Triode 1 Plate Frequency". I know what a triode is but what will that do to my sound? I'm doing the Edisonian trial-and-error routine now but feel like some instruction might make my efforts more productive.

Was recently wondering about that kind of info too. I don't know if any books have ever been recommended, but some of these should be interesting...

The TAB Guide to Vacuum Tube Audio: Understanding and Building Tube Amps (TAB Electronics)

Looks like there are a good bunch of 'em.

Maybe these are among the best? => Morgan Jones
Great, thanks, getting warm now. Those seem to be "the source" for design books, as in: how to wire and build your own. I'm after learning what to do with what I have beyond EQ, gain, presence, and so forth. Maybe by looking at other publications that cite the Morgan Jones books I can get even closer.
Cheers!

Great question -- I've been wondering the same thing! I have practically zero experience with real amps, so I'd love to learn the fundamentals..... I also want something more thorough than just a video about dialing in some random amp; I realize some people learn that way but I prefer to have a deeper understanding of using an amp (without getting into schematics)....

"A ton" has been written through the years, so you could also search for every parameter + specifying Cliff's name, but I suspect a lot of that is on a page in the wiki.

Stick with the Authentic Page for now and watch videos of the amps you want to use. I approached each amp as if I wanted to buy one and did the same research. Mainly discovering what tones the amp is capable of and learning which speakers are most commonly used. The IR is crucial to an amps tone and knowing which speaker(s) an amp is typically paired with really helps narrow down which IRs to try.

The one thing that is of no concern anymore is the durability of the amp. You can now use any Marshall to your hearts content without having a backup and a backup for the backup.

The fundamentals of what the parameters do are in the manual. That’s the first place to start looking. The wiki contains information beyond that for many parameters.

If you want to repair amps in the Axe... ;-)

RCA Receiving Tube Manual

First 100 pages seem to have good general info.

They have it, and tons of other related pdfs, at www.tubebooks.org

That made me laugh out loud! Now someone will start a YT channel "repairing" 300 amps in the AxeFXIII and slag the amp designer AND Cliff on every episode..."This is the way I would've built it...except I'm stuck in my basement breathing solder fumes!"

"This is the way I would've built it...except I'm stuck in my basement breathing solder fumes!"
Cliff is mostly respecting the original designs, but has a few times commented on weird design choices himself, IIRC :D

On the fumes thing, that guy uses the good old solder containing lead, doesn't seem to use an air sucker, yet claimed, "I don't think I have lead poisoning...?" That one made me chuckle...
Anyway, I've built some distortion boxes in the early 80ies that way, and I'm still here with all my hair :p

Stick with the Authentic Page for now and watch videos of the amps you want to use. I approached each amp as if I wanted to buy one and did the same research. Mainly discovering what tones the amp is capable of and learning which speakers are most commonly used. The IR is crucial to an amps tone and knowing which speaker(s) an amp is typically paired with really helps narrow down which IRs to try.

The one thing that is of no concern anymore is the durability of the amp. You can now use any Marshall to your hearts content without having a backup and a backup for the backup.

Thank you @JoKeR III , that seems like the the most practical approach after all. I'll chase down some of the details as I get to them, maybe doing what @Brewce suggested (parameter by parameter + Cliff).

Cliff is mostly respecting the original designs, but has a few times commented on weird design choices himself, IIRC :D

On the fumes thing, that guy uses the good old solder containing lead, doesn't seem to use an air sucker, yet claimed, "I don't think I have lead poisoning...?" That one made me chuckle...
Anyway, I've built some distortion boxes in the early 80ies that way, and I'm still here with all my hair :p

Yeah...the whole obsession over lead solder is a bit overblown. I could be mistaken, but I was always told that the smoke actually comes from the rosin, which is what the air sucker removes. Lead poisoning itself from solder is actually a very low risk. You won't get it just from handling lead unless you don't wash your hands before you eat/drink. Handling your wet pad is almost more of a risk...lead has to be dissolved in water to be absorbed unless you literally eat it.

Anyway, to the OP....

If you're talking about the basics of setting up an amp...

Matt Schofield showed his method of dialing in "any" amp the first time he was on That Pedal Show. It's not a bad place to start, but it absolutely does not work with every amp. There are some designs where the knobs are highly interactive, and that method will have you chasing your tail with some amps. A lot of classic amps don't necessarily do what they say on the knobs in terms of what you want to achieve, at least not directly. I mean....they kinda do. Treble knobs generally make an amp brighter or darker. But depending on other settings, the mid knob might as well be another gain control on some designs.

IMO, it's valuable to learn what actually makes a tone stack "flat". Tone Stack Calculator (https://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/, windows only) is good for this, especially if you can find schematics to change some of the values for the actual amp you're talking about. No, the tone stack is not the only thing that affects the frequency response of an amp, but it is one of the biggest things. I generally start tweaking an amp from "flat"....which could be almost any knob position for different amps. For some modern "active tonestack" amps, it's everything at noon. For most amps derived from the Bassman/Twin tone stack, it's with bass and treble all the way down and mids all the way up (or as close as you can get...Deluxe Reverbs have a resistor for mid control rather than a pot, but I believe the rest of the tone stack is almost identical to the Twin Reverb, for example). For a Vox style amp with it's 2-band, it's likely to be flat with both all the way down....they're passive...they don't actually boost, but you can almost treat them like they do if you start with the gain way up.

It really is wildly different for different amps. I almost think that some of people's strong preferences for one amp over another actually come from not understanding how different the tone stacks can be.

For the deeper parameters....I've definitely just played with the knobs. Generally, this experimentation hasn't been all that fruitful. Transformer Drive and speaker drive/compression have been fun.

At this point, other than the speaker impedance curve selection and the dynamics tab, I pretty much only dive into the deeper ones if I want to "fix" something and approach it from the same mindset as taking an amp to a modder. Some of what I do has come from YT videos about people fixing specific issues with real amps.

Most recently, I wanted to reduce (but not eliminate) the ghosting that my Tweed Twin model was causing when I used too much gain (which I like). It ended up being a few small tweaks to the power supply page that kept it under control. Or, at least, that seemed to reduce the worst of the ghosting.

If you're talking about the basics of setting up an amp...
Great reply...but I'd like to expand on a couple of things that us beginners are looking for:
  • "schematics" -- it's not like we want to look at wiring diagrams, but we don't know which things are related -- a lot of times various knobs interact with others, and it'd be good to have at least an awareness of that. When people learn an amp, I think this is a big part of what they're internalizing....
  • "derived from" -- it's obviously important to understand a given amp's lineage since so many amps start with existing designs and tweak them. Again, I get the impression that most people build up this knowledge over time, but with 300 amps, it'd be great if there was a tree or something illustrating the genealogy of amps.....(Yes, I've looked for exactly such a thing and still haven't found it.)
"Topology" would be the other thing to add; when you just have an array of knobs to work with, it's not at all obvious where those parameters sit in the signal flow.

All that said, I love that Fractal modeling has advanced to where us newbs can just focus on the authentic tab (or whatever it's called now); even without any real understanding of what I'm doing, I can usually come up with something I like pretty quickly.... With apologies to the OP, I think what we're looking for is a way of actually learning this stuff....

I think what is a similar but a more fruitful area of study is legendary tones and how to get them. Some of the greats either stumbled on great combinations of amp/cab/effects/settings, or just persevered over time. But one way or another certain individuals came up with some great stuff. for example Brian Mays lead tone, EVH several distinctive tones, Gilmore, etc etc.. research the details of their equipment and settings and go about recreating them in the Axe.. great fun. but don’t forget the guitar is likely critical too. Leon aka 2112 usually touches on some of the fx stuff in his vids too so definitely check those out.

IMO, it's valuable to learn what actually makes a tone stack "flat".
It really is wildly different for different amps. I almost think that some of people's strong preferences for one amp over another actually come from not understanding how different the tone stacks can be.
You hit the nail on the head. I didn't know how to ask concisely for the guidance I wanted but what you wrote is pretty much it. I think the way forward for me is: pick an amp to dig deeper into, find what I can find about the way the tone stack works (non-trivial), and try to emulate notable sounds like @Tahoebrian5 suggested (coincidentally, I was just looking at some of those that Marshall has on YT).

Back
Top Bottom