Now taking suggestions on Function Footswitch assignments

frankyandreas

Inspired
I use the AX8 for Musical Theater gigs primarily . . . and for reasons I'm not going to over-explain it seems I really need to be in Sticky Preset/Bank mode.

Is it possible to still have a Tuner/Tap Tempo switch when you're in this mode? If so the answer is escaping me.(I'm looking at the Function Footswitch page in AX8 as I type).

Also - I'm certainly open minded about different workflow configurations, however I'll insist that with the speed I need to switch sounds (and instruments) in this particular show it's fairly obvious to me that Sticky Preset/Bank is the way to go. But there could always be other options I'm not considering.

Thanks!

Put your presets in order of the show and set F3 Tap to Preset increase. F3 Hold could be Preset Decrease if you make a mistake.

It is not possible to have any functions other than Bank up and Bank down on F2 and F3 when in Sticky Preset/Bank mode.

There are ways to make scenes more effective which can reduce the number of presets, but without having more information about the reasons for different presets it's difficult to offer viable solutions.

Chris' suggestion is a great solution that allows access to the rest of your switch's functions. If you need to use the same preset(s) more than once at different parts of the show, copy and place it in the appropriate place in the set. Rename them if necessary, I usually use song names to help keep things straight.

There are ways to make scenes more effective which can reduce the number of presets, but without having more information about the reasons for different presets it's difficult to offer viable solutions.
Musical theater is just bam bam next song next song usually. When I played electronic drums for theater shows, I would just create a chain of my presets and only had to hit “next preset” throughout the show. I sometimes had 50+ sound changes, and trying to quickly go from 8 to 2 to 6 etc would just not work.

You generally don’t want to be hitting different switches and pedals if possible during a show as it generally just needs the next sound quickly. Having one button to press all show helps tremendously.

Good tip about duplicating presets to get them in the right order. Only issue would be if you need to change that preset and then have to reduplicate it everywhere.

You could additionally use a Midi set list program on an iPhone or something to arrange and change your presets there, but that adds a layer of possible failure. But it could be a better overall solution.

This is all really great feedback. I'll weigh it before making a call. My current workaround was to just bail on a tuner mute (I can spare a preset in my bank for that) - and in this show there really isn't a need for tap tempo delay anywhere. I'm just accustomed to having it handy on the last four shows I worked. I need to meditate on which approach saves me the most work overall.

I'm not going to out myself as to which book I'm working, it suffices to say that everything on the treble clef is fairly easy; but it's loaded with unreasonable instrument changeover times.

Have you considered using a midi device to change presets? It could even be an iPad or Android tablet/phone

Have you considered using a midi device to change presets? It could even be an iPad or Android tablet/phone

Great suggestion. I have in fact considered it, and would certainly consider this in the future. In this case, downbeat’s coming up and I don’t have time to reinvent the wheel.

I'm super stoked on all these suggestions. So next Orchestra Pit gig I'm definitely going to try some variation/combination of these.

This show, I'm just using a head-stock tuner and forgetting about tap. Gotta cut my losses and move forward.

However, definitely keep all these suggestions coming, it's giving me a ton of ideas.

Fair enough

When you get there, I am a very happy user of setlist maker on an iPad combined with Quiccosound mi1 (midi over Bluetooth). It works well and it allowed me to have some notes for the songs as well.
I just signed up for Bandhelper (which includes Setlist maker); how difficult is this to program? I ordered a Yamaha bluetooth midi device and am waiting for its arrival.

It can be a little difficult to figure out the first time. But once you got it, it takes only 10 seconds each time.

Hi everyone,
It seems that the devices you mention are compatible only with IOS or am I mistaken ? Would you know some Android MIDI/Bluetooth device ?

I need sticky preset mode to and for this reason i still use my old korg tuner and a TC booster, tap tempo i don,t have a solution for at this moment.

Back
Top Bottom