Not Really Digging Axe Thru Headphones

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
So I'm not sure if it's just me (my ears being accustomed to the sound of tube amps through 4x12 cabs), but after receiving my Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro headphones, and playing factory presets ~50-100, they all sound a bit "saturated?" Kinda like way back when my amp was at the rehearsal space, and I'd plug into my home stereo (if you've ever done that, you'd probably know what I mean.) Even if I turn down the gain, it still sounds similar. Hard to describe it any better.

I'm brand new to modelling, and I'm still on FW 14.05. I have amp modelling on, and cab modelling active.

Also, in this age of internet shopping, and the fact that you essentially can't audition an Axe Fx 3 before buying, how would one know for certain if there's a problem with some aspect of your new gear? As an example, a long time ago I bought a Road King amp and Recto cab, but there was a slight "buzziness" in the tone. But I was able to troubleshoot the issue by switching amps and cabs. I can't switch to a separate Axe 3 because, well, I don't have 2, and I don't know anyone near me that also owns one (although I seriously doubt what I'm hearing is the fault of the Axe.)

As for the headphones..., who knows? I guess it's possible mine have an issue, but again, I'm leaning to them not being the problem, although I suppose I could see if SW would send me another. But even in the event that some piece of brand new gear is in fact defective, my thinking would be that the next one they pull off the shelf would have the same problem, since the issue would be somehow related to problems, or lack of QC, in that production run.

What do you think? Is what I've described just the way it is with guys like me, coming from tube amps, and also never using headphones in the past? Should I try to locate someone who has this same gear, so I can A/B them? Is there a setting I missed? Try a different brand of headphone? Something else?

Edit: Oh, and I play an EBMM Majesty, which is hot, so I have the input 1 level at around 5%, since it clips when I engage the 20dB boost switch that guitar has. I remember reading in the manual that even very low settings that don't hit the reds at all are no problem (if you switch between hot guitars, and ones that are not, e.g.)

You're using studio headphones - try whatever you use with a phone or mp3 player (discman/walkman for OG's) and see if you prefer that?

Also, update your firmware and see if you prefer it.

Being accustomed to using real amps and cabs, you're going to have some transitional 'problems' getting used to using headphones....at least for a while.
Using headphones without the ability to switch to hear the AxeFx through FRFR or Amp/Cab, you're probably never going to be fully satisfied.
Having said that, there are times when headphones are the only option, or a temporary preferred option.

There is nothing wrong with the AxeFx headphone and good results are obtainable (providing there is no actual problem with a particular unit). It's more than likely you haven't found the right headphones for your tastes coupled with transitioning from real Amps/Cabs.
The simple difference between open and closed back phones plays a big part as well.

The best thing to do IMHO, would be to take your Axe to a shop where you can try out different sets of phones. And as soon as possible enhance your experience with FRFR/Amp Cab options.

I have the same setup with DT880 pro's. For me, headphones are the only real option I have given space and sound constraints. For me, the sound is 'ok.' But with headphones, you're never going to get the right feel in comparison to sitting with a powered cab. I find the same to be true with monitors, to me, HS8's are fine but nothing compares to having a legit 2x12 or larger.

I debate a lot about going to a new setup with an Engl Savage 120 and 2x12 with a Fryette powerstation but the axe is nice for connecting to PC, playing with my backing tracks, and using headphones so I don't drive the family crazy.

There are HUGE differences in sound quality between headphones. Even between half-decent ones. I went from the Shure 1840s which sound wide open, airy and bright, to the BD DT1990s which sound much richer, more saturated, but much more closed in - to my ears, just massive differences in sound. Both sound good in their own right. It takes a while to adapt to some of these headphones.

If I were to choose a more ampy sounding headphone, for me, the Shures would be it, and they sound pretty-close to the Sen HD600’s .but, neither can produce some of the richer details in mid and lower range that the BD’s can.

There are some trade-offs with these things.

I’m not really known to kiss too much ass around here, but, it’s likely not the AXE, but just finding a headphone you can adapt to. None will really replicate that amp/cab sound. Maybe the megabucks headphones will, but none that I have tried.

I love mine through my Sennheiser HD600's but I have separate patches for headphones and live cabs- you have to dial in specifically for your headphones if you want some peace between the two. I also noticed a huge difference when I upgraded headphones. And then even more when I started messing around with the headphone EQ curves posted above so my recorded tones sound closer to correct when played through speakers. You'll get it once you dial in for headphones- I just copy my live patches over and save them as same name with HPs in front of it.

I got some DT880’s after a lot of recommendations on here, but really didn’t like them with the FX3. At all. Tried everything, but they weren’t doing it for me. Great for music though.
I’ve tried a few different pairs, all recommended, but the only ones I’m remotely happy with are the Sennheiser HD600’s and I’m over the moon with them. The search is finally over for me. No tweaking needed as they sound really close to my monitors.

I picked up some DT 770 250 ohms and i dont like how the axe sounds through them. Sounds like plastic/podish. So i just go back to frfr and avoid the headphones.

It's not the AxeFX, it's your headphones. Specifically, how those particular headphones interact with the AxeFX and your ears. I'd suggest shopping around and trying some different cans until you find something you like. There are great options all over the price spectrum. I personally think the Sennheiser HD 280 Pros are the best studio headphones you can get for the money. And their stuff generally only gets better as you go up the ladder.

I have a pair of $1600 headphones that sound absolutely unreal for listening to music, but make my AxeFX sound too shrill. It reallly just comes down to personal preference.

I like playing through studio monitors much better, but sometimes use DT880's. They have a bit of a treble spike and are known for being bright. To help compensate and get them closer to what I'm hearing through studio monitors, I usually have a parametric eq with a cut of -3db at 8k. Otherwise, things sound brighter than what I'm used to when playing through monitors. They also are lacking in bass a bit, but that doesn't really bother me. That could also be part of what you're hearing.

You could try playing with the global eq to see if you can adjust what you're not liking about them and see if that helps.

Also, dont overthink things when you put on your headphones. Dial in a tone you like, and play.

I went from 120dB 2x running a jcm800 2203+blackface twin RI with an FX8 to a iii with monitors and headphones, and Im still having a blast. I can still get feedback, ringing in my ears and lost in the fun of it.

This is the way

The tinnitus I do have came from when I first joined said loud band, and our rental room was steel walls. I didnt have molded plugs at the time. It was rough (2 jams a weekend 2x a month). Our later rooms were much better in that regard!

Back
Top Bottom