NOT allowed to turn up CLR at home

So everyone works the night shift at my house and I'm not allowed to turn up my active CLR wedge to test my presets. I do play live weekly but don't have the time on the set to fool around with my patches and discover new sounds.

So my question is, for anyone who has a CLR, which monitors or headphones have you tried for making presets at home that translates to the CLR wedge perfectly or very close?

I love my active CLR wedge neo but playing it turned down at home really takes away from the real tone I get live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it will ever be the same. I have 750,- euro in ear monitors with a pretty good FRFR character but it is way different then my CLR.

it's not real bad but there is definitely no feel to the sound imo.
You may hear the difference between presets, but for levels, there is almost no way to do that for live gigs.
But when I make a preset I try to do the main tone and fx with in-ear and later try it during daytime on my CLR.
Then i dial in the real tone i want and tweak my effect levels.
When the tone is good enough I store it and try to level it during the gig.

I use Westone 2-way in ears that are moulded, also on stage together with my CLR.

Ok thanks for the tips. Luke those headphones are too expensive. I forgot to mention that my budget is below $500

I don't know if they're close to the CLR, but the Blue Mofi's are outstanding and run about $350. I'm fighting the urge to buy a pair as I've already got a chunk of change invested in a couple pairs of cans and it's real hard to justify buying another set right now. Ironically Cliff Chase (you may have heard of him) is the one who turned me on to them. I kind of manipulated a friend at work to buy a pair so I could check them out and they're stellar. They sound huge and transparent and the mids are just perfectly balanced and clear without being harsh.

Thanks Sasha. That's actually one of the cans I've been looking up lately. I'm highly considering those. And thanks Randolph I'll definitely look them up!

I hate headphones personally, so have some smaller desktop monitor speakers. I have a Blue Sky 3.1 system that works great, but have also had good luck with Behringer (amazing huh ?) and KRK monitors. They aren't the best, but you can get a pair for a few hundred bucks and they sound pretty good overall. Certainly works better than most computer "multimedia" type speakers. maybe 95% of the CLR flatness, which for the money isn't bad. Have to spend 2-3x as much to get that last few percent, and move up to some Adam or similar monitors. Not worth it IMO, reason being, your perception of tone is rather dependent upon how loud your playing.

Something that sounds great at 1am baby is sleeping in the next room volume isn't going to sound the same at gig volume, even with the best FRFR system there is. As such, its not like your going to dial in patches at whisper levels and have them translate, so really all you need is something that sounds pretty good at low volumes, and that doesn't break the bank (I would assume, unless money is no issue).

Few hundred bucks for a desktop monitor system reproduces your guitar tone pretty well, is great for just listening to music on as well, and works for late night and gets about as loud as I've ever want/need for solo playing at home. You got your CLR when you need more volume.

I got a set of Beyer dynamic DT 990 Pro
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.c...o-and-stage/studio-headphones/dt-990-pro.html

the thing is no headphone will sound the same as a CLR. BUT if you spend some time and know what to listen for or how to dial it in on the headphones so it does translate good, then really any set of decent cans will do IMO.

I got the open back DT 990 because I do a lot of acoustic and tracking with live sound and the open backs are almost like not wearing any cans a at all.

Hi JJB,
I use a POSSE monitor system late night AND and smaller gigs. That way, the sound I rehearse with, is the sound I play with live ALWAYS.
I got mine on ebay new for $229.00. Just add decent IEM's ($300 or more).
Here is the site, videos and song demo sucks, but you'll get the idea. http://posseaudio.com/

LOL that caught me off guard. I have friends that call me JJB in real life and when I saw your post I was like, none of my friends have a fractal unit [emoji13]

Def check it out. Thanks klaushouz!

Back
Top Bottom