[NOT A BUG] Muffled preset sound

mcgyver

Inspired
I was wonder if anyone else had this issue. I am on the newest firmware 3.0.3 with my Axe Fx 2 first version, not a mark II. I notice that a lot of my preset that I was perfectly happy with all of a sudden sound muddy and muffled. and this would happen with more then one. All high-gain presets that I’ve notice so far.

I am running FRFR into a mixer and then QSC K12. it sounds great. But this is driving me crazy.

I reinstalled the firmware a few times this has been happening throughout more then a few firmware updates I reset the unit. And I load the newest factory presets and started to rebuild my presets starting with the new factory presets. Thinking maybe because I carry a lot of these presets from really older versions of firmware there might be some corruption.

So I load the factory preset. It sounds fine. I adjust it to my liking. Sounds great.

Then I may go back to it a hour or a day later and it sounds muffled and muddy.

Nothing has changed in the preset or my set up. So I pull the preset or presets up in Axe edit. And I start to bypass effect blocks and what I’ve discovered is. Bypassing the “stereo delay” block fixes the muddy sounding preset. They I can activate it again and the presets fine. seems like the multi-delay does this too. I think it is because it hogs more DSP maybe???

I can see the CPU drop when I deactivate the block then the sound is fine. The CPU goes back up when I re-engage th delay. But the sound is still fine. The maybe if i recall the preset it work fine. Then maybe a day or two later I’ll recall the preset. Same issue.

Sometimes it is a different preset. I also noticed this issue even if the delay is in a parallel like the example here. Am I have DSP issues with my unit ????? This happening on both the presets below with different routing.

Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 12.10.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2016-06-18 at 3.39.29 PM.png

can you upload those 2 presets please? hit the EXPORT button on the top right and upload them here.

bypassing a block should not change CPU.

Here you go. And thank you for your interest.

Attachments

• 5153 Red .v Q3.02.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Higher HBE v.Q 3.03.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 9
Maybe I mis-spoke about the CPU. it was not when I bypass the block, but when I removed the block the CPU would change. it was when I bypassed the block that the muffled sound would go away. Then removing the delay block would make the CPU drop. After I replaced the delay block the CPU would of course go up again. And the sound would be fine, for now. Hope this clarifies a bit

I just gave your HBE preset a try the noise gate settings are way too extreme, I'm using some high output EMG hetfield pickups and I have to pound on the strings to get a signal.

UPDATE, after tweaking the noisegate this preset actually sounds really nice to me.

Just fired up your 5153 preset its not very bright sounding on my setup, its ok but lacking highs for my taste.

5153 is not bright on my rig either. shunting and replacing the delay does not seem to make a change in tone. the input gate is set strong in both presets. not sure about the hbe preset because we do not know what cab you are using, or what is in the loop.

Thanks for your input guys. I am going to experiment a bit more now that I know what actions I can take to affect changes.
Just to clarify, It is intermittent. Sometimes I would not go back to a preset for days. I play almost daily. Then i would go to a preset i was otherwise happy with and it would sound very muffled and muddy???

For the 5153 preset, I just switched the saturation switch to "Ideal" and it made it sound much better.
Make sure you save the changes.

Last edited:
Since you mention it being intermittantly muffled, could you have a problem with the QSC K12? Or something else in your signal path.

It would be interesting to see if another audio source, even from something like an mp3 player, thru the mixer exhibits the same issue.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I send backing track audio through the same Mackie mixer and K12s. Also on the mixer , the monitor outs is a set of K10s that I use for monitors. All of which sound fine. It is only the AXE FX.

Back
Top Bottom