[Not a bug] EXIT button doesn't consistently exit the grid view

Kamil Kisiel

Power User
If you are on the home screen and push ENTER to enter the grid view, then pushing EXIT from the grid view returns you to the home screen.

However if from the home screen you click the VALUE wheel to enter the grid view, you cannot return to the home screen by push EXIT, only by clicking the HOME button. Click EXIT causes the screen to blink, but it remains in the grid view.

I am using 1.14

It is? Seems like a weird way to do it. After editing in the grid for a while, how am I to remember whether I entered it with the ENTER button or by clicking the wheel?

I don’t know what the reason is but as said: it’s by design.

If I were to guess: to be able to use EXIT to return to the previous point, the operating system would have to leave ‘return marks’ all the time and everywhere, for this application alone. Might not be worth the effort.

But you can exit back one level from pretty much everywhere else, this is the only exception I've found so far. Seems more like an oversight than intentional to me. If pushing "ENTER" can leave a mark to return to the top level, why can't clicking the wheel? And yes, I know I could push HOME, but I find myself reaching for EXIT a lot of the time because I'm used to pushing it to go back a level in the hierarchy. This is the only place it doesn't work.

Honestly, think it’s specifically so you don’t accidentally take yourself out of grid mode and go back to home

If that's the case, then why does it work when you've gone to grid view with the ENTER button? Also what's the harm of exiting the grid view? you can just get back with another button press anyway. IMO it's more frustrating to have something that should perform an action not do it.

If that's the case, then why does it work when you've gone to grid view with the ENTER button? Also what's the harm of exiting the grid view? you can just get back with another button press anyway. IMO it's more frustrating to have something that should perform an action not do it.

Think it’s more when you’re editing a modifier or block and you press exit too many times and end up home rather than on the grid view. I don’t see an issue with it at all; it’s nice having an option where it won’t go all the way back to home while programming from the device display.

That makes sense, but then why does it take you back to home if you entered the grid with the ENTER button, and then started editing modifiers or blocks? It only blocks you from exiting the grid if you enter it with the VALUE wheel. If it's not supposed to let you exit, then it shouldn't exit then either.

That makes sense, but then why does it take you back to home if you entered the grid with the ENTER button, and then started editing modifiers or blocks? It only blocks you from exiting the grid if you enter it with the VALUE wheel. If it's not supposed to let you exit, then it shouldn't exit then either.

Think it’s more for programming from grid and not accidentally ending up in home; exiting the blocks and modifier screens would still be fundamental for grid programming.

If it doesn’t work for your flow, don’t click the value knob to enter grid and you can pretty much forget about it. I like having the option of not accidentally going back to home while I’m programming a patch.

Back
Top Bottom