Noobish question about the axe-fx

Derrek

Hello, I'm new here and I'm planning to buy an Axe-fx soon. The only thing is, as of now, I don't have any DAW system, nor any recording interface, no monitors... So, in the meantime I get all this, could I just plug the Axe straight into the poweramp of a home sound system using a RCA cable? Thanks.

Yes. But you will need a cable/adapter to go from XLR ballanced to RCA or 1/4" to RCA.

If you have spare inputs on your home music system pre-amp a benefit of plugging in there is you will not have to keep switching cables between usual use and the Axe-FX. Another option is using the SPDIF digital out from the Axe-FX into your preamp/processor or a seperate DAC if you already have one.

Darryl

So, Jack plugged into Digital output of Axe-fx and RCA plugged into poweramp?
Not unless you want to destroy your speakers in a few seconds. You want the cable plugged into an analog output of Axe-Fx with the other end connected to power amp input. Use adapters as necessary.

No! A power-amp is anlaog line level input, the RCA digital output is SPDIF digital. Do NOT plug your SPDIF out into an analog input. I'm assuming you have a separate pre- and power-amp because you keep saying power-amp. What exact home audio system do you have? Make/Model of the power-amp, pre-amp/processor and any outboard DAC.

If you want to use the SPDIF digital out from the Axe-FX it needs to go to a DAC, either one built into your home audio system pre-amp/processor or an outboard DAC. If you do have that its a simple single cable connection and maybe an option if you do not have a spare analog input on the preamp... or its just a confusing distraction I should not have mentioned, sigh. And many low-end/consumer audio systems will have SPDIF input over toslink, although you can use an adapter.

Darryl

Last edited:
It's not a separate preamp and poweramp. It's a JVC RX-815V (from the 90's) plugged into Sound Dynamics Loud speakers. I didn't know about that digital stuff. Good thing that I asked. So, my best bet would be XLR out from Axe with an adapter to RCA in any input of the JVC? Thanks again.

Yes your probalby best bet is XLR to RCA adapters or cables from the main XLRs out to any of the unused stereo inputs on the JVC (except the phono input which is not line-level). You will need a pair of either of the following

XLR female to RCA male cable

or

XLR female to RCA female adapter like this and use regular RCA male-male cables that you probably already have.

The adapter may be easier to find than the cable.

The volume controls on the Axe-FX and your amplifier will be in series, adjust both for what sounds best. Start with simple stereo settings and any surround sound fakery turned off on the amp.

Darryl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom