Noob Question: Using real tube amp but need output to FOH

Depending on the amp model used, I've found that it's the compression from the power amp section that makes it sound less good when running into a real amp and turning the sag off sounded a lot better, there will probably be a compromise setting that sounds passable into the PA and an amp though. Having the option to put the fx loop in between the pre and power amp would be handy.
Yes, the peaks are tamed and lot of hi-end content lost. Some preamp sound very unpleasant without a power amp section. :)

i Still want to use my bogner as a traditional amp on stage, but if the need arises where I can send a sim straight out of the AX8 to front of house, whilst still using my amp as a want, can I do it?
Either through panning left and right outputs somehow? Or splitting the signal chain earlier before the amp/cab sim?

I had the same problem. I ended up ditching my tube amp and using a matrix. If you spend some time dialing it in and A/B ing with your 5150, it should be so close that you will not miss the 5150.

I had the same problem. I ended up ditching my tube amp and using a matrix. If you spend some time dialing it in and A/B ing with your 5150, it should be so close that you will not miss the 5150.

yep. a co worker will let me borrow his matrix gt1000fx 2u on saturday. I'll test it and maybe go all solid state from here on. saves my back the trouble too if i do.

I dont doubt that I can AB it as close as possible. hell, even the preamp sim of the 5150 is so good that i cant tell it apart from the original's tube preamp. but my issue is would the ax8+matrix be as loud, cutting, and thumping as a 5150 thru a 4x12 at stage volume especially if you have a loud drummer and another guitarist who rocks a JCM800?

but my issue is would the ax8+matrix be as loud, cutting, and thumping as a 5150 thru a 4x12 at stage volume especially if you have a loud drummer and another guitarist who rocks a JCM800?
Don't have to compete with the other guitar. Focus more on mid and tremble range. Arrange guitars so that freqs don't overlap...

I've tried everything this afternoon trying to get the AX8 hooked up using my Bogner Atma 4cm and send an Amp and Cab sim direct to front of house (with all the effects I would use with my amp etc) but no such luck... Has anybody managed to do this? Even a basic patch separating both outputs so left amp and right foh?
Cheers!
Bump of old thread, but has anyone been able to work this out yet?

choosing to use 4cm typically means all Inputs and Output are used up. you'd want to mic the real amp/cab at that point.

I've been working on this too and I think it's a great setup
I can't see a way of splitting Pre and Power amps within the AX8, but to my ears the problem with doubling 'virtual power amp' into 'real power amp' is the Prescence and Depth controls, on both units. If I turned them to zero on my Rivera (The're in the Power section, not the Pre section so they still work), and tried to reduce them as much as possible on the AX8, it sounded way less harsh with the Power sim on. Low gain sounds actually sound great this way (Vox etc.)
(Saying that, I'm now investing in a Tech 21 Power Engine 60 for a cheap, light and transparent Celestion experience)

Back
Top Bottom