Noob Question: Starter Patch

The Whale

Inspired
Hi Guys - I'm completely a noob here with my Axe FX Standard. I've spent about 2 hours with Axe-edit and feel as though I've only cracked the surface. Basically, I feel as though I know enough to ask questions and that's about it. What I was hoping for was to find a space with user presets so I could look at how they're laid out and get ideas. I haven't found such a thing, so I'll ask for advice here.

I'm hoping to build one patch that contains: Wah - Phaser - Drive 1 - Drive 2 - Chorus - Amp - Delay 1 - Delay 2 - Cab.

I've managed to get that far. Functionally, i'd like to have the entire chain sent to the XLRs and have a split sent before the cab so I can send everything except the cabinet/mic modeling to a power amp and cabinet. How do I do that?

Secondly, I think i've brought in my Redwirez cabinets correctly, but I notice there's a spot in the cabinet block for mics. If I'm using a Redwires cab, should I select 'none' on the mic? I'm using the Marshall 1960a with G12m, SM57 cap edge 0in.

Thirdly, is there a place where I can download some user patches? Ideally, i'd love to see Pete Thorn's patch that he references in his 2011 Melissa Etheridge rig post. That seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks guys. Any help you can give would be great!

Hi Guys - I'm completely a noob here with my Axe FX Standard. I've spent about 2 hours with Axe-edit and feel as though I've only cracked the surface. Basically, I feel as though I know enough to ask questions and that's about it. What I was hoping for was to find a space with user presets so I could look at how they're laid out and get ideas. I haven't found such a thing, so I'll ask for advice here.

I'm hoping to build one patch that contains: Wah - Phaser - Drive 1 - Drive 2 - Chorus - Amp - Delay 1 - Delay 2 - Cab.

I've managed to get that far. Functionally, i'd like to have the entire chain sent to the XLRs and have a split sent before the cab so I can send everything except the cabinet/mic modeling to a power amp and cabinet. How do I do that?

link the Efx block off of the delay-2 block to bypass the cab. So highlight the Delay-2 block, arrow down and press enter then scroll to the Efx block then enter. The signal will be available on OP-2.

Welcome bud!
Glad you ended up with one.
And very glad I ended up keeping mine.

Part of what convinced me to stick with it were DonPeterson's banks from the Ultra/Standard Preset Exchange section of the forum.
You'll probably find him on the first few pages. He has one of all Fender flavor and one of Fuzz, and I was able to find about 50 to-die-for tones with very minimal tweaking, and more to come I imagine.
Plus, they all seem to work fine with the Standard.

If you're not yet familiar with the preset download process: 1. download the SysX library tool/reader thingy that is suggested on the Fractal support page 2. download the bank files from Don on the forum (I usually just save it to my desktop, but it's easier if you put it in your Axe Edit folders) 3. On source, choose Preset Bank (or something like that) instead of Axe FX and it will call up the entire bank in order, allowing you to browse through them all. 4. Save the ones you like to your Ax or keep them in the bank folder for later, whatever.

Feel free to IM if you have any other questions about that process and I can try and help.
The other questions, already sounds like you're delving deeper than I ever will :)

Good luck and have fun.

case

Casey - Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm pretty pumped. I was able to figure out the Output 1 and Output 2 thing before rehearsal last night, so i used the Axe. I set up a simple plexi 2 patch and tried to mimic the general flavor of my Budda Superdrive. I then ran it into the board with cabs and into the efx return on the Budda without cabs. My other guitar player was really impressed with the sound. he's seen me cycle through a ton of gear, and remembers my Eleven Rack (which KILLS in the studio, but was hard to make shine live). The thing that amazed me was that there wasn't really any need for PEQs and such to make the sound going to either source good. With the 11r, I needed at least one PEQ.

Today, my goal is to set up the effects in the chain and get the GCP up and running with it. I will likely download some patches as well to see how others are setting up their effects and such. I'd love to learn how to do set up the effects blocks with presets, as there seems to be a great post in the exchange regarding specific pedals (El Cap, Phase 90). That'd be super handy. Either way, so far I'm lovin it!

Back
Top Bottom