Noob Question: Saving Presets

jshirkey

Experienced
Okay, so I've had my Axe II for a while now, but I've spent most of my time playing through some of my favorite presets, tweaking them to taste, and then saving them in the same bank/preset slot that they came in. But I'm getting to the point where I want to create several tweaks of the same amp model, as well as create and save more of my most commonly used, go-to presets.

Here's my question. There is no empty bank of presets that the user can save to, correct? In other words, every time I save a preset, I'm overwriting a factory preset (either in bank A, B, or C). So far, this hasn't been a problem for me because the factory preset I'm overwriting is just my own tweak of that same preset, and I save it to the exact same slot. But if I want 4 tweaks of that same preset, I'm going to save them in four separate locations (foregoing, for the moment X/Y functionality), which means I'll be overwriting 3 factory presets somewhere in the process, right?

If that's correct, then do most people simply back up all of the factory presets to Axe Edit and then create their own user bank(s) instead? And if that's the case, then what if I want to go back to the factory presets just to explore some new sounds? I can load them one (or more) at a time from Axe Edit into the bank/preset slot(s) of my choice, but I have to make sure I have a backup of the preset(s) I'm about to override in order to load them--right? It just seems like a constant game of musical chairs, I guess.

Maybe I'm way off base. If there's an empty user bank of presets on board, someone please clue me in.

Jeff

There is no empty Bank, you need to go over presets to save, you can always reinstall the factory presets, so it's no big deal, what I do is look for presets that aren't of use, and save on top of those, then rearrange them where i need them.

Dont forget to check out AXE MANAGER when using the editor for re-arranging copy/move presets, great functionality!

Dont forget to check out AXE MANAGER when using the editor for re-arranging copy/move presets, great functionality!

I think I have to wait on the latest version of Axe Edit to be released before I can use it with my Mac and FW 8.01, unless I'm mistaken. Axe Manager is something I have yet to use at all, and it's a feature/function within Axe Edit, right?

Thanks again.

Presumably you would want a back up of presets you have made in any case. So if you have a back up of the factory presets and your own that's important.

A lot of units have factory presets and then a lot of empty banks for user presets. I think that has meant this has become a sort of expectation and at the time prior to PCs to back up to this started it probably made sense.

With the Axe FX all of the 384 slots are available for user presets, just that when it arrives there are the same amount of example presets provided. What is then done with them is up to the user.

You can always use the presets banks from Fractal later to retrieve presets.

Go through the presets and write down the numbers of ones you have no use for and save to those locations. No one needs 383 presets.

I think I have to wait on the latest version of Axe Edit to be released before I can use it with my Mac and FW 8.01, unless I'm mistaken. Axe Manager is something I have yet to use at all, and it's a feature/function within Axe Edit, right?

Thanks again.

Yes, for full axe editor functionality, but unless I am totally wrong, you can still use axe manager for moving/copying presets around to place them where you want them to be

Presumably you would want a back up of presets you have made in any case. So if you have a back up of the factory presets and your own that's important.

A lot of units have factory presets and then a lot of empty banks for user presets. I think that has meant this has become a sort of expectation and at the time prior to PCs to back up to this started it probably made sense.

With the Axe FX all of the 384 slots are available for user presets, just that when it arrives there are the same amount of example presets provided. What is then done with them is up to the user.

So, in a way, the 384 factory presets simply show what the unit is capable of, and a user could archive/save them for possible future reference, and come up with 384 user presets based on whatever s/he wants in the meantime. It seems obvious now, but I guess I hadn't thought of it that way precisely because (as you said), I'm used to the old way of doing things, where an fx unit comes with "x" number of presets factory installed (that will always be there) and "y" number of slots for user presets. I guess being able to save presets to the computer truly is a game changer. Thanks.

You can always use the presets banks from Fractal later to retrieve presets.

Go through the presets and write down the numbers of ones you have no use for and save to those locations. No one needs 383 presets.

Good idea. It'll be a bit of a slow-going process, but I will go through each of them and do exactly that. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've gone through the factory presets over time and kept track of the ones I liked or might use for reference vs. the ones to replace. I keep track with a spread sheet and started saving my own presets at the end (384) working backwards. As I come to a preset I want to keep, I just use the swap function. I currently only use 3 main patches, but I do have a number of other patches for experimenting, etc.

For my main 3, I copy them to the very first slots in Bank A as well- ready to go and easy to find. This will increase as I build more patches. Just my way... a lot of users seem to just skip using the factory patches all together and build their own from scratch. So no need to worry with tracking factory presets, swapping etc. The further I get with this thing, the more that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom