Noob Axe FX question

bradaxefx

I'm planning on buy an Axe Fx 2 soon and i want to know if i can use the Axe as an amp head instead and just have it sit on top of a cabinet. No PA system or mixing just for jamming in a garage.
I say this because i have a dark terror with no clean channel, so i need to know if i should blow all my money on the Axe or get a new amp head.
Or is there other alternatives?

Draw power?

The reason is the axe fx is not a power amp. The speaker cabinet needs a power amp to function.

The axe doesn't need a power amp to function.

is that just to give the Axe and cab enogh power because the Axe doesnt draw power like an amp head?

That's excactly what it's for. Every amp HEAD (usually) has a pre and power amp stage. As Axe-FX II is a preamp fx processor, it needs a poweramp to drive the loudspeakers.

They're all going to sound different. The matrix power amps are a good choice and seem to be a favorite amongst axe fx users. Ymmv.

Yeah, you should do some research what suites best... I'd personally search from:

- Mesaboogie fifty/fifty
- Fryette 2/90/2
- VHT 2/50/2
- VHT 2150 (basically a improvement for that fry 2/90/2)
- Peavey Classic 50/50 (cheap)
- Atomic 50/50...

There is more but that'll get you started... Pay attention to pre/powertube models also. :)

I say this very kindly, but the Axe FX is very powerful piece of gear, and judging from your questions I fear it may be a bit much to handle for you right now.
A different amp head could be more appropriate I you are just looking for a clean channel...

Yeah, you should do some research what suites best... I'd personally search from:

- Mesaboogie fifty/fifty
- Fryette 2/90/2
- VHT 2/50/2
- Atomic 50/50...

There is more but that'll get you started... Pay attention to pre/powertube models also. :)

Thanks man ill check them all out.

I say this very kindly, but the Axe FX is very powerful piece of gear, and judging from your questions I fear it may be a bit much to handle for you right now.
A different amp head could be more appropriate I you are just looking for a clean channel...

nah im not getting it purely for a clean channel, i decided a few months ago that the pedal collection i want would be too massive and expensive, and i always didnt like multi-effects pedals, but the Axe seems to do what i want for pedals and then some. It was more of a "is it worth buying a new amp head and then an axe when i can afford it" as opposed to a " which is a better amp head an Axe or Triple Rec" thing.

The dark terror has an fx loop, so using the 4 cable method it'd be possible to switch between using the terror for high gain and the axe fx for cleans. Alternatively, just run the axe into the fx loop return, and use the axe fx for all amp sounds and the dark terror as a power amp. The Dark terror power section won't be totally flat however, it will colour the tone.

I have to decent with pyba. While I agree that it sounds like the AFX might be a bit beyond your level of understanding (based only on your posts in this thread), I still think it would be a much better option than a traditional head, especially if you were comparing this primarily to a dual rec. The AFX will offer you SO much more flexibility and the opportunity to grow as a player with the unit. It is also likely to hold its resale value to a much greater extent, as evident by current and recent resale trends, even more so if you were considering buying either unit new.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't let its capabilities scare you off, it's a good thing, even if you just like to "plug & play." Plus, there's a wealth of knowledge here and through other sources. Conversely, a recto will sound like a recto (which is a very bad thing for those of us who remember what they sounded like in the 90's).

- Mesaboogie fifty/fifty
- Fryette 2/90/2
- VHT 2/50/2
- Atomic 50/50...

^ DITTO - "do some research" Can't emphasize this enough.

You need to try these things and let you ears decide. Suggestions are nice an all, but in the end hearing is really the only way to know what's right for you.

Back
Top Bottom