Non-FASLink people: Ethernet or 7-pin MIDI?

Eric T Amble

Inspired
Hi everybody,

Just a quick question: I've started playing out with my Axe-FX II (Mark II, no FASLink), and I was wondering:

...in your experience, if you play out about 6 times a month, on stages ranging from tiny little areas in the corner to medium-sized stages...
...what's the most reliable/least error-prone for your MFC: Ethernet or 7-pin MIDI with phantom power from the rear of the Axe-FX?

When I have money, I'll upgrade to FASLink and this'll be a non-issue. But, for now...

Thanks! Of course, if you need more info I'll be happy to oblige,
Eric

My Ethernet connection is protected on board end with the doghouse I built for it, so it's a non-issue.

Cool! That looks like it'll definitely do the job at the connection point on the MFC.
Have you (or has anyone) ever seen a weird situation that might be attributable to interference along the cable run between the MFC and the Axe-FX II?
And, here's the clincher: did you do the doghouse _because_ the Ethernet connector has a kind of "loose" feel (as mine does)? I can see it sort of waggle around in the case's aperture... like it's about to come loose from the circuit board/whatever it's soldered to!
I had a weird situation once... where I got no power or communication and had to use a backup Ethernet cable (that worked fine). for no reason I can discern, that failure never happened again.

If you are using ethercon you should be good to go with that. If not a robust midi cable is best. I am also bro having extra as a back up IE if you are using ethercon keep a 7 pin midi cable and power supply in a bag someone where to be safe

I've been using ethercon for the better part of a year now with zero problems.

Back
Top Bottom