Noisy Drive 1; Drive 2 is fine

This is a bit wierd. I picked up the preset yesterday from this thread: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/mesa-boogie-jp2c-tone-matched.157304/
(what a fantastic preset, btw).
I noticed the preset was using Drive 2, TS 808. I copied over the exact same settings to Drive 1 (as far as I could tell) and noticed that there was way more noise.
Drive 2 - hardly any noise. Scratching my head on this.. this is with the 11.02 Beta #5 release. Any ideas? I'm at work right now but can post my preset when I get home if necessary.

Posting the preset could help. Blocks should be identical so one shouldn’t be noisier than another unless a setting isn’t the same. Maybe copy/paste didn’t put them all there correctly?

I loaded the preset and tried to do the same thing you did, inserting a Drive1 block after Drive2 and setting it up exactly the same. Can't hear any differences in noise level between the drives on the yellow and red channels so it seems to be an issue on your end. Maybe you copied something incorrectly, as far as I can tell it's just a T808 with drive turned to 0 and everything else left at the default settings.

Posting the preset could help
It's in the first post of the thread linked by OP, and also on Axe Change with ID 7640.

It's in the first post of the thread linked by OP, and also on Axe Change with ID 7640.

Yes, but he changed it by adding Drive 1 (with supposedly the same settings). Posting his preset might help uncover the issue.

Posting his preset might help uncover the issue.
Of course. If the goal of this thread is to analyse what exactly happened with OPs preset to make it more noisy then that's the way to go. But IMO that's a red herring as OPs goal is just to create a version of the preset that uses Drive1 instead of Drive2, so it doesn't really matter what went wrong in the attempt - the solution is simply to redownload the preset, remove Drive2, and insert a Drive1 T808 with drive at 0.

Of course. If the goal of this thread is to analyse what exactly happened with OPs preset to make it more noisy then that's the way to go. But IMO that's a red herring as OPs goal is just to create a version of the preset that uses Drive1 instead of Drive2, so it doesn't really matter what went wrong in the attempt - the solution is simply to redownload the preset, remove Drive2, and insert a Drive1 T808 with drive at 0.
The OP didn't say anything about removing Drive 2.

Sometimes when copying settings we miss something... You think everything is the same but it isn't.

Having the preset as it was when the OP reported the issue is the only way to really know.

@poeticprizm, if you literally copied the whole drive block or the specific channel from drive 2 to 1 (via AxeEdit), then they should be identical.

However as chris and unix-guy point out, if you manually tried to make the settings the same, something might have gone awry.

so it doesn't really matter what went wrong in the attempt

You're right he could start over, but it matters for learning purposes ("oh, I botched that setting"), or long shot maybe there is a bug.

It’s always best to have the actual preset with the issue when troubleshooting. We can compare, see how our results differ, etc. Even if the repro is clear, it always helps.

Back
Top Bottom