Noise problem

mingury

Hi all
I have a Mark I model and it has always been noisy, regardless clean or dirty. Actually it is the noisiest one in the bunch (Kemper, Headrush, Yamaha THR, Boss, and many software plugins through audio interface).

I have done searches on the forum and appreciate Axe Fx should actually be the quietest of all, this is clearly not the case for me..

All my guitars are shielded (some with noiseless pick ups) and have no issues whatsoever on the others.

The noise is a classic 60 cycle hum which is always present whether or not I play on strings. Of course placing fingers on the string reduces the hum quite a bit but it is still there.

I have tried setting noise gate, adjusting the global input setting and everything. Noise gate works to block while the notes are not played, but the sustained notes carry the hum (I do know this is normal) which drives me absolutely crazy.

When I watch videos on youtube, guys using Axe FX sound absolutely pristine. So either I must be doing something wrong or I have a faulty unit.

Would someone be able to suggest anything else I could try to minimise hum? I really want to make this work.

Thank you very much.

One more thing to add, when unplug the guitar and listen to the unit I hear nothing. I have tried maxing out the level as well.
So no issue there.

a noise gate doesn't "seek out" noise. it just reduces volume at a certain threshold.

try the rear input 1 - you'll need to change a menu setting in Setup>Audio from front to rear.

does that solve the noise?

if you unplug your guitar and the noise goes away, then the guitar, cable, or possibly the input jack itself is causing the noise, and nothing after it.

How close are you to the fractal when testing for noise? I know when i''m close to any PA, gear or computers and i get allot of buzz. But once i take a few steps back it goes, interested to see if this is the same issue for yourself...

How close are you to the fractal when testing for noise? I know when i''m close to any PA, gear or computers and i get allot of buzz. But once i take a few steps back it goes, interested to see if this is the same issue for yourself...

Same here, if im holding my guitar when im near any PA, SS power amp, even pc or monitor, some a lot of noise come into my sound, step away from those machines and the noise it's gone.

I even go as far (when playing live) as taking my phone out of my jeans and put it to one side!

Thanks all for the input.

Using the rear input did not make any audible difference.

I have been testing out in a complete dark room - the light did not make a difference either.

But you are correct about the guitar somewhat surrounded by few machines.

What baffles me is Axe FX being noisier than the others in a same environment. Hence was my question.

What sort of power are you using, straight into a wall socket, extension lead or power distribution? I used to have loads of trouble with my old Fender tube amp, a few sockets in my room just caused it to fizz like hell!

Also find out what else runs on the same line as you are plugged into. Turn off your breaker or remove the fuse and see what outlets stop working. It could be an ac unit in another room or a fridge or anything. There are so many things that can interfere. Sometimes the only answer is to try setting up in a different room. The pickups on my guitar pick up all kids of noise if I'm close to any electronics.

Back
Top Bottom