Noise in output when using MIDI expression medal

Robert

I have been noticing a ticking noise in the output of my Ax-Fx II when using an expression pedal to control the volume via MIDI through my LF+12+ foot controller.

I was wondering if this is common, limited to my particular foot controller, could indicate a problem with my Ax-Fx II, or (even better) if there is a way to eliminate it. It's generally not noticeable when playing at normal volumes, but when I'm using the expression pedal for volume swells / very quite playing, I can hear it clearly.

Recording of the noise (each tic you hear is when the LF+ transmits the CC message and also flashes a status LED)

I have been noticing a ticking noise in the output of my Ax-Fx II when using an expression pedal to control the volume via MIDI through my LF+12+ foot controller.

I was wondering if this is common, limited to my particular foot controller, could indicate a problem with my Ax-Fx II, or (even better) if there is a way to eliminate it. It's generally not noticeable when playing at normal volumes, but when I'm using the expression pedal for volume swells / very quite playing, I can hear it clearly.

Recording of the noise (each tic you hear is when the LF+ transmits the CC message and also flashes a status LED)

I'm no expert... That's my disclaimer. What you're hearing is the adjustments to the parameters in the unit. In MIDI and all things digital, adjustments are made in 'fragments of a whole'. You're hearing those 'fragmental adjustments'. I've heard that in almost every digital rig I've had since around '93. But... You only hear it on high gain settings whilst NOT playing.

When controlling the wah with an expression pedal, frequent advice is to set damping to around 14ms to prevent a similar scratchy sound when using the pedal. See if playing with modifier damping affects the sound you hear when controlling volume.

Dont happen to have your guitar cable running next to your midi cable do you? When I had mine too close i could hear my tap tempo through my headphones.

One weird thing that happens with my setup is that when I turn on the Axe Fx **TUNER** I hear a weird clicking noise. This noise disappears when I disconnect my midi cable from my midi controller (a Lexicon MPX R1). I do not hear the clicking when I have the MPX R1 connected and the AXE is not in tuner mode.

I figured it might be the AXE sending tuner information along the midi cable (that my controller is unable to decipher)

Back
Top Bottom